The Surprising Existence of Klaatu is a colossal, environmentally stunning nation, remarkable for its enslaved workforce, compulsory military service, and devotion to social welfare. The hard-nosed population of 8.347 billion Klaatuans are fiercely patriotic and enjoy great social equality; they tend to view other, more capitalist countries as somewhat immoral and corrupt.
The government — a sprawling, bureaucracy-choked, socially-minded morass — juggles the competing demands of Defense, Environment, and Social Policy. The average income tax rate is 79.4%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The large but underdeveloped Klaatuan economy, worth 240 trillion nons a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. The industrial sector, which is quite specialized, is mostly made up of the Automobile Manufacturing industry, with significant contributions from Furniture Restoration, Gambling, and Uranium Mining. Average income is 28,779 nons, and distributed extremely evenly, with practically no difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
The government funds private schools for intellectually gifted children, 'unconventional' weaponry has been banned, immigrant Maxtopians are routinely sold on popular internet auction sites, and the government has cut taxes in the face of widespread tax evasion. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to a very well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Klaatu's national animal is the ibex, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Klaatu altered its national flag.
- : Klaatu's influence in Vectis fell from "Hegemony" to "Dominator".
- : Klaatu's influence in Vectis fell from "Hermit" to "Hegemony".
- : Klaatu's influence in Vectis rose from "Dominator" to "Hermit".
- : Klaatu lodged a message on the The Scandalian Alliance Regional Message Board.
- : Klaatu granted posting privileges on the Vectis Message Board to nations in embassy regions.
- : Klaatu's influence in Vectis rose from "Superpower" to "Dominator".
- : Klaatu altered the regional flag of Vectis.
- : Klaatu established the regional flag of Vectis.
- : Klaatu proposed constructing embassies between Vectis and Scarberia.