The Protectorate of Keglen is a colossal, efficient nation, ruled by Leader with an iron fist, and remarkable for its keen interest in outer space, complete lack of public education, and suspicion of poets. The hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical, humorless population of 6.781 billion Keglenians are ruled with an iron fist by the corrupt, dictatorship government, which oppresses anyone who isn't on the board of a Fortune 500 company. Large corporations tend to be above the law, and use their financial clout to gain ever-increasing government benefits at the expense of the poor and unemployed.
The relatively small, corrupt, pro-business, well-organized government prioritizes Defense, with Law & Order and Industry also on the agenda, while Environment and Welfare aren't funded at all. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Keglen City. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 5.2%.
The frighteningly efficient Keglenian economy, worth a remarkable 2,201 trillion Keglens a year, is broadly diversified and led by the Arms Manufacturing industry, with significant contributions from Information Technology, Retail, and Gambling. Black market activity is notable. Average income is an amazing 324,643 Keglens, but there is a significant disparity between incomes, with the richest 10% of citizens earning 1,096,900 per year while the poor average 71,066, a ratio of 15.4 to 1.
Builders spend more time negotiating "tasteful architecture" than on actual construction, torture is commonly used to extract information from suspected criminals, vanity is considered the fifth cardinal virtue, and scenic tours are unheard of after most environmental laws were abolished. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to a capable police force. Keglen's national animal is the Kegal, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to widespread deforestation, and its national religion is a major religion.
Keglen is ranked 1st in Keglen and 710th in the world for Lowest Unemployment Rates, scoring 1,189 on the Workforce Participation Versus Theoretical Maximum Metric.
Most Recent Government Activity: 4 days ago
- 7 days ago: Keglen fell out of the world Top 10% for Highest Average Tax Rates.
- 18 days ago: Following new legislation in Keglen, scenic tours are unheard of after most environmental laws were abolished.
- 19 days ago: Following new legislation in Keglen, vanity is considered the fifth cardinal virtue.
- 20 days ago: Keglen was ranked in the Top 1% of the world for Most Corrupt Governments (last census: Top 5%).
- 20 days ago: Keglen was reclassified from "Compulsory Consumerist State" to "Corporate Police State".
- 20 days ago: Following new legislation in Keglen, torture is commonly used to extract information from suspected criminals.
- 21 days ago: Keglen fell out of the world Top 5% for Largest Publishing Industry.
- 22 days ago: Following new legislation in Keglen, builders spend more time negotiating "tasteful architecture" than on actual construction.
- 22 days ago: Keglen was reclassified from "Corporate Police State" to "Compulsory Consumerist State".
- 22 days ago: Following new legislation in Keglen, record sales of 'child-whacking sticks' have been reported.