“Caliph instead of the Caliph”
|Category: Corporate Police State|
Regional Influence: Negotiator
The Caliphate of Iznogoud is a gargantuan, devout nation, ruled by Caliph with an iron fist, and renowned for its unlimited-speed roads. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 23.611 billion are ruled with an iron fist by the corrupt, dictatorship government, which oppresses anyone who isn't on the board of a Fortune 500 company. Large corporations tend to be above the law, and use their financial clout to gain ever-increasing government benefits at the expense of the poor and unemployed.
There is no government in the normal sense of the word; however, a small group of community-minded, corrupt individuals is effectively ruled by the Department of Defence, with areas such as Social Equality and the Environment receiving almost no funds by comparison. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Baghdad. Income tax is unheard of. A powerhouse of a private sector is dominated by the Uranium Mining industry.
More and more students are taking up a career in medicine, military spending recently hit a new high, Baghdad is a police state during international summits, and people unhook their phones at night to escape a never-ending barrage of phone calls. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force. Iznogoud's national animal is the camel, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to widespread deforestation, its national religion is a major religion, and its currency is the dinar.
Most Recent Government Activity: 11 days ago
- 2 days 21 hours ago: Iznogoud was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Largest Cheese Export Sector (last census: Top 5%).
- 3 days 22 hours ago: Iznogoud's influence in Scandinavia fell from "Contender" to "Negotiator".
- 5 days ago: Iznogoud was endorsed by The Mostly Insignificant Nation of Ioavollr.
- 6 days ago: Iznogoud's influence in Scandinavia rose from "Negotiator" to "Contender".
- 11 days ago: Iznogoud was reclassified from "Iron Fist Consumerists" to "Corporate Police State".
- 11 days ago: Following new legislation in Iznogoud, people unhook their phones at night to escape a never-ending barrage of phone calls.
- 13 days ago: Iznogoud was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Most Scientifically Advanced (last census: Top 10%).
- 13 days ago: Iznogoud's influence in Scandinavia fell from "Contender" to "Negotiator".
- 18 days ago: Iznogoud's influence in Scandinavia rose from "Negotiator" to "Contender".
- 18 days ago: Iznogoud was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Conservative.