The Federal Republic of Itatun is a colossal, orderly nation, ruled by Leader with an iron fist, and notable for its parental licensing program, ban on automobiles, and suspicion of poets. The hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical, humorless population of 6.6 billion Itatunians are kept under strict control by the oppressive government, which measures its success by the nation's GDP and refers to individual citizens as "human resources."
The enormous, corrupt, moralistic, well-organized government juggles the competing demands of Defense, Law & Order, and Industry. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Itatun City. The average income tax rate is 91.1%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The frighteningly efficient Itatunian economy, worth 926 trillion tungstens a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. However, for those in the know, there is a large, well-organized, broadly diversified black market in Arms Manufacturing, Woodchip Exports, Uranium Mining, and Retail. The private sector mostly consists of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, but the government is looking at stamping this out. Average income is an impressive 140,350 tungstens, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 2.3 times as much as the poorest.
The government's only official statement on the burning down of Itatun City was that 'they shouldn't have been so careless', several citizens have complained about scientists abducting their pets for experimentation, citizens have reported seeing strange rays of light emanating from the moon, and potatoes racing stadiums are open 24/7. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to a well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Itatun's national animal is the potatoes, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its national religion is a major religion.
Most Recent Government Activity: 11 days ago
- 14 days ago: Itatun was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Subsidized Industry.
- 17 days ago: Itatun fell out of the world Top 10% for Largest Gambling Industry.
- 19 days ago: Itatun fell out of the world Top 10% for Largest Agricultural Sector.
- 21 days ago: Itatun was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Fastest-Growing Economies.
- 27 days ago: Itatun was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Lowest Crime Rates.
- 40 days ago: Itatun was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Public Sector.
- 43 days ago: Itatun fell out of the world Top 10% for Fastest-Growing Economies.
- 44 days ago: Itatun was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Avoided (last census: Top 5%).
- 109 days ago: Itatun fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most Primitive.
- 123 days ago: Itatun's influence in Kallisto fell from "Ambassador" to "Handshaker".