“ Initium Sapientiae Timor Domini”
|Category: Inoffensive Centrist Democracy|
Regional Influence: Eminence Grise
The Commonwealth of Hardenburgh is a colossal, cultured nation, ruled by William Blackwood with an even hand, and renowned for its keen interest in outer space. The hard-nosed population of 9.787 billion Hardenburghians have some civil rights, but not too many, enjoy the freedom to spend their money however they like, to a point, and take part in free and open elections, although not too often.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, corrupt government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Defence, Education, and Healthcare. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Asguard. The average income tax rate is 64%. A powerhouse of a private sector is dominated by the Book Publishing industry.
The internet has been placed under government control, a punitive tax has been placed on harmful emissions, racial supremacists indulge their wildest fantasies in cinemas and theatres across the nation, and people are arrested for looking too sternly at whales. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Hardenburgh's national animal is the Eagle, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to toxic air pollution, and its currency is the kroner.
Most Recent Government Activity: 4 hours ago
- 2 days 4 hours ago: Hardenburgh lodged a message on the Valeria Regional Message Board.
- 3 days 21 hours ago: Hardenburgh was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Largest Retail Industry.
- 6 days ago: Hardenburgh was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Cheese Export Sector (last census: Top 5%).
- 6 days ago: Hardenburgh was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Largest Cheese Export Sector.
- 7 days ago: Hardenburgh was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Largest Basket Weaving Sector (last census: Top 10%).
- 11 days ago: Hardenburgh updated the World Factbook entry in Valeria.
- 13 days ago: Hardenburgh banned The Republic of Austro-Timoria from Valeria.
- 13 days ago: Hardenburgh ejected The Republic of Austro-Timoria from Valeria.
- 14 days ago: Hardenburgh proposed constructing embassies between Valeria and Haven.
- 14 days ago: Hardenburgh was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Largest Publishing Industry (last census: Top 10%).