The People's Republic of Handiyan is a massive, genial nation, ruled by President Juarez with an even hand, and renowned for its national health service, public floggings, and sprawling nuclear power plants. The compassionate population of 3.477 billion Handiyanians have some civil rights, but not too many, enjoy the freedom to spend their money however they like, to a point, and take part in free and open elections, although not too often.
The enormous, corrupt government juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Defense, and Education. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Handiyan City. The average income tax rate is 61.9%.
The strong Handiyanian economy, worth 141 trillion Santans a year, is highly specialized and led by the Tourism industry, with significant contributions from Information Technology, Uranium Mining, and Arms Manufacturing. Black market activity is notable. State-owned companies are reasonably common. Average income is 40,556 Santans, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 3.1 times as much as the poorest.
Members of Parliament are often found living in cardboard boxes, business owners return from long vacations to find their factories have been turned into homeless shelters, Red Cross demand for body bags is rising while sutures go unused, and most mothers are forced to quit their jobs to care for infants. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Handiyan's national animal is the Black Eagle, which soars majestically through the nation's famously clear skies.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Handiyan was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Advanced Defense Forces.
- : Handiyan's influence in The Supreme Union rose from "Sprat" to "Shoeshiner".
- : Handiyan's influence in The Supreme Union rose from "Minnow" to "Sprat".
- : Handiyan's influence in The Supreme Union rose from "Zero" to "Minnow".
- : Handiyan was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Advanced Law Enforcement and the Top 10% for Most Politically Apathetic Citizens and Most Average.
- : Following new legislation in Handiyan, most mothers are forced to quit their jobs to care for infants.
- : Handiyan altered its national flag.
- : Handiyan relocated from Balder to The Supreme Union.
- : Handiyan was refounded in Balder.
- : Handiyan ceased to exist.