“Nous ne faisons tous qu'Un”
|Category: Inoffensive Centrist Democracy|
Regional Influence: Superpower
The Democratie reelle of Gaiah is a gargantuan, socially progressive nation, ruled by Krishnamurti with an even hand, and notable for its frequent executions, multi-spousal wedding ceremonies, and rampant corporate plagiarism. The compassionate, democratic, cheerful population of 26.143 billion Gaiahians have some civil rights, but not too many, enjoy the freedom to spend their money however they like, to a point, and take part in free and open elections, although not too often.
The medium-sized government is primarily concerned with Environment, with Education and Social Policy also on the agenda, while Defense and Industry are ignored. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Paris. The average income tax rate is 88.6%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The large but stagnant Gaiahian economy, worth 346 trillion Euros a year, is highly specialized and led by the Book Publishing industry, with major contributions from Trout Farming and Information Technology. State-owned companies are common. Average income is 13,263 Euros, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Government officials frequently cut taxes as a distraction from antics with their secretaries, the people elect the Supreme Court justices directly, the government is attempting to revitalize a gutted private sector, and citizens are enjoying a recent large cut in taxes. Crime, especially youth-related, is all-pervasive, probably because of the absence of a police force. Gaiah's national animal is the Phoenix, which soars majestically through the nation's famously clear skies.
Most Recent Government Activity: 8 days ago
- 2 days 7 hours ago: Gaiah was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Beautiful Environments (last census: Top 5%).
- 6 days ago: Gaiah was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Largest Public Sector.
- 6 days ago: Gaiah was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Largest Public Sector.
- 7 days ago: Following new legislation in Gaiah, the people elect the Supreme Court justices directly.
- 8 days ago: Gaiah voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Disabled Voters Act".
- 19 days ago: Gaiah was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Nudest.
- 22 days ago: Gaiah was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Best Weather (last census: Top 5%).
- 23 days ago: Gaiah voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Promotion of Dance".
- 24 days ago: Gaiah was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Popular Tourist Destinations (last census: Top 5%).
- 61 days ago: Gaiah fell out of the regional Top 10% for Smartest Citizens.