The Democratie reelle of Gaiah is a gargantuan, genial nation, ruled by Krishnamurti with an even hand, and notable for its national health service, lack of airports, and multi-spousal wedding ceremonies. The compassionate, democratic, cheerful population of 27.41 billion Gaiahians enjoy extensive civil rights and enjoy a level of social equality free from the usual accompanying government corruption.
The medium-sized, socially-minded government is primarily concerned with Environment, although Education and Social Policy are also considered important, while Defense and Industry aren't funded at all. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Paris. The average income tax rate is 86.0%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The large but stagnant Gaiahian economy, worth 361 trillion Euros a year, is highly specialized and led by the Book Publishing industry, with major contributions from Trout Farming and Information Technology. State-owned companies are common. Average income is 13,206 Euros, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
The people elect the Supreme Court justices directly, the government is attempting to revitalize a gutted private sector, citizens are enjoying a recent large cut in taxes, and the government has cut taxes in the face of widespread tax evasion. Crime, especially youth-related, is all-pervasive, probably because of the absence of a police force. Gaiah's national animal is the Phoenix, which soars majestically through the nation's famously clear skies.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Gaiah voted against the World Assembly Resolution "Repeal "Military Freedom Act"".
- : Gaiah was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Most Scientifically Advanced (last census: Top 10%).
- : Gaiah lost the endorsement of The Grey Leagues of Plessur.
- : Gaiah seized the position of France WA Delegate from The People's Trotskist Republic of Rakipuland.
- : Gaiah was endorsed by The Grey Leagues of Plessur.
- : Gaiah was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Largest Information Technology Sector (last census: Top 5%).
- : Gaiah lost the position of France WA Delegate to The People's Trotskist Republic of Rakipuland.
- : Gaiah was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Nudest.
- : Gaiah voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Protection of Sapient Rights".
- : Gaiah was reclassified from "Democratic Socialists" to "Scandinavian Liberal Paradise".