“Un pour tous, tous pour un”
|Category: New York Times Democracy|
Regional Influence: Contender
The Grand Duchy of Fumigate is a gargantuan, socially progressive nation, ruled by Louis XVII with a fair hand, and renowned for its anti-smoking policies. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, intelligent population of 14.545 billion enjoy a sensible mix of personal and economic freedoms, while the political process is open and the people's right to vote held sacrosanct.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Education, the Environment, and Social Equality. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Vienne. The average income tax rate is 38%, but much higher for the wealthy. A powerhouse of a private sector is dominated by the Book Publishing industry.
Crime suspects are forced to submit to blood testing, heavy industry must go to expensive lengths to dispose of waste, the government recently relinquished its monopoly on the mail service, and the government has ordered a moratorium on referenda. Crime is totally unknown. Fumigate's national animal is the Lion, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its currency is the Franc.
Most Recent Government Activity: 4 days ago
- 19 days ago: Fumigate was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Most Popular Tourist Destinations (last census: Top 10%).
- 20 days ago: Fumigate was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Happiest Citizens.
- 43 days ago: Fumigate was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Developed.
- 53 days ago: Fumigate endorsed The Grand Republic of Auropolis.
- 53 days ago: Fumigate endorsed The Oasis of Oodges.
- 61 days ago: Fumigate was endorsed by The Oasis of Oodges.
- 62 days ago: Fumigate was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Largest Publishing Industry.
- 68 days ago: Fumigate fell out of the world Top 5% for Most Politically Free.
- 68 days ago: Fumigate fell out of the regional Top 5% for Most Politically Free.
- 80 days ago: Fumigate was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Smartest Citizens.