|Category: New York Times Democracy|
Regional Influence: Contender
The funhouse of Esselldee is a gargantuan, cultured nation, ruled by Esselldee with a fair hand, and remarkable for its devotion to social welfare. Its hard-nosed, intelligent population of 19.973 billion enjoy a sensible mix of personal and economic freedoms, while the political process is open and the people's right to vote held sacrosanct.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Education, the Environment, and Law & Order. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Esselldee City. The average income tax rate is 99%. The private sector is almost wholly made up of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, although the government is looking at stamping this out.
Meat-eating is frowned upon, parents live in fear of governmental 'child protection' squads, prison visits increase substantially during election years, and the government has ordered a moratorium on referenda. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Esselldee's national animal is the nauga, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its currency is the dineroo.
Most Recent Government Activity: 1 day 3 hours ago
- 2 hours ago: Esselldee was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Most Pacifist (last census: Top 1%).
- 16 hours ago: Following new legislation in Esselldee, the government has ordered a moratorium on referenda.
- 16 hours ago: Following new legislation in Esselldee, prison visits increase substantially during election years.
- 2 days 4 hours ago: Following new legislation in Esselldee, parents live in fear of governmental 'child protection' squads.
- 3 days 3 hours ago: Esselldee was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Longest Average Lifespans (last census: Top 1%).
- 3 days 4 hours ago: Following new legislation in Esselldee, meat-eating is frowned upon.
- 3 days 4 hours ago: Following new legislation in Esselldee, cheese has become the new icon of political dissent.
- 3 days 13 hours ago: Esselldee endorsed The Republic of Fidem.
- 3 days 13 hours ago: Esselldee endorsed The Republic of Hamen.
- 5 days ago: Following new legislation in Esselldee, religious organizations are being forced to leave the country or pay income taxes like everybody else.
Endorsements Received: 46 (Orthus Mundus, Parkplace, Cowland5, Ishmiel, Farfel the Dog, Kiljarit, British Canuckistan, SetiCrunchers, SLAM-ER, Keefenstein, Ambrok, The Unionized Stoners, Lidyn, MaziChino, Omnivorous, Spirit Bear, TurtDadon, Devil Heart, Aslanistan, Jus Dananas, Firefights, Ecans, Alalala Land, Lutzelhaven, Almonaster Nuevo, Palsada, Penguinestine, Vancili, Transylvantarcticanada, Dyoshun, The Tau Contingent, Boreal Tundra WA Admin, Higsantium, Chrisia, Cance, Mesocricetus Auratus Peninsula, Rylona, Oilers Fans, RQNP, Lardon Atya, Faxenland, Fiddlegreen Farms, The Mountain Smauge, Another Dimension, Grananthaia, Lorelai County)