The Estado Libre of Espana Japones is a gargantuan, safe nation, ruled by Leader with a fair hand, and notable for its frequent executions, daily referendums, and hatred of cheese. The compassionate, democratic, cheerful, devout population of 15.084 billion Espaņoles love a good election, and the government gives them plenty of them. Universities tend to be full of students debating the merits of various civil and political rights, while businesses are tightly regulated and the wealthy viewed with suspicion.
The relatively small, outspoken government juggles the competing demands of Education, Healthcare, and Welfare. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Madrid. The average income tax rate is 15.5%, but much higher for the wealthy.
The large but stagnant Espaņol economy, worth 115 trillion peseta espaņols a year, is extremely specialized and mostly made up of the Tourism industry, with significant contributions from Trout Farming. State-owned companies are common. Average income is 7,661 peseta espaņols, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Anti-government web sites are springing up, the government spends more on chasing distant comets than on basic infrastructure, major corporations receive tax breaks for no apparent reason, and tax evaders are regularly visited by agents of the Espana Japones Blood Tithe. Crime is totally unknown. Espana Japones's national animal is the tigre, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Espana Japones's influence in Lazarus rose from "Newcomer" to "Nipper".
- : Espana Japones was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Lowest Crime Rates.
- : Espana Japones was ranked in the Top 1% of the world for Most Beautiful Environments, Most Influential, Longest Average Lifespans, Most Cultured, and Most Compassionate Citizens.
- : Espana Japones's influence in Lazarus rose from "Hatchling" to "Newcomer".
- : Espana Japones's influence in Lazarus rose from "Unproven" to "Hatchling".
- : Espana Japones was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Lowest Crime Rates.
- : Espana Japones was ranked in the Top 1% of the region for Most Pacifist.
- : Espana Japones's influence in Lazarus rose from "Zero" to "Unproven".
- : Espana Japones was refounded in Lazarus.
- : Espana Japones ceased to exist.