The Most Serene Republic of Ephestus is a colossal, orderly nation, ruled by Leader with an iron fist, and remarkable for its zero percent divorce rate, suspicion of poets, and devotion to social welfare. The hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 8.475 billion Ephestusians are ruled by a mostly-benevolent dictator, who grants the populace the freedom to live their own lives but watches carefully for anyone to slip up.
The enormous, corrupt, well-organized government juggles the competing demands of Defense, Law & Order, and Industry. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Euphestus. The average income tax rate is 80.4%.
The strong Ephestusian economy, worth 635 trillion Mesdettas a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. However, for those in the know, there is a slick, highly efficient, fairly diversified black market in Uranium Mining, Soda Sales, Information Technology, and Retail. The private sector mostly consists of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, but the government is looking at stamping this out. Average income is 75,000 Mesdettas, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 4.4 times as much as the poorest.
Most mothers are forced to quit their jobs to care for infants, scenic tours are unheard of after most environmental laws were abolished, ethnic minorities are often refused admission to some of the nation's best schools, and military spending is on the increase. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to a very well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Ephestus's national animal is the Harpy, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its national religion is a major religion.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Ephestus was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Populations.
- : Ephestus was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Soda Pop Sector.
- : Ephestus was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Advanced Public Transport.
- : Ephestus's influence in Balder rose from "Nipper" to "Minnow".
- : Ephestus's influence in Balder rose from "Newcomer" to "Nipper".
- : Ephestus's influence in Balder rose from "Hatchling" to "Newcomer".
- : Ephestus's influence in Balder rose from "Unproven" to "Hatchling".
- : Ephestus's influence in Balder rose from "Zero" to "Unproven".
- : Ephestus was refounded in Balder.
- : Ephestus ceased to exist.