The Republic of Elsh is a gargantuan, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by Andre Maia with an even hand, and notable for its frequent executions, daily referendums, and complete absence of social welfare. The compassionate, democratic, humorless population of 13.101 billion Elshians have some civil rights, but not too many, enjoy the freedom to spend their money however they like, to a point, and take part in free and open elections, although not too often.
The government — a sprawling, bureaucracy-choked morass — juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Education, and Defense. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Nova. The average income tax rate is 72.1%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The sizeable but stagnant Elshian economy, worth 52.8 trillion bezants a year, is highly specialized and mostly made up of the Arms Manufacturing industry, with significant contributions from Information Technology and Beef-Based Agriculture. State-owned companies are reasonably common. Average income is 4,033 bezants, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 2.8 times as much as the poorest.
Max Barry is this year's Miss Elsh, naturists are jailed regularly for indecent exposure, fancy dress parties are raided by military police for new recruits, and politicians are often found scavenging bins at night to supplement their income. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Elsh's national animal is the bison, which is also the nation's favorite main course.
Elsh is ranked 91st in Portugal and 125,104th in the world for Lowest Unemployment Rates, scoring -17 on the Workforce Participation Versus Theoretical Maximum Metric.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Elsh fell out of the world Top 10% for Most Scientifically Advanced.
- : Elsh was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Politically Apathetic Citizens (last census: Top 5%).
- : Elsh was endorsed by The Republic of Drakkar Unitary Absolutist.
- : Following new legislation in Elsh, politicians are often found scavenging bins at night to supplement their income.
- : Following new legislation in Elsh, fancy dress parties are raided by military police for new recruits.
- : Elsh voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Access to Humanitarian Aid".
- : Elsh fell out of the world Top 10% for Lowest Crime Rates.
- : Following new legislation in Elsh, naturists are jailed regularly for indecent exposure.
- : Following new legislation in Elsh, Max Barry is this year's Miss Elsh.
- : Elsh voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Protection of Sapient Rights".