“Audaces Fortuna Juvat”
|Category: Inoffensive Centrist Democracy|
Regional Influence: Negotiator
The Republic of Elsh is a gargantuan, safe nation, ruled by Andre Maia with a fair hand, and notable for its sprawling nuclear power plants. The compassionate, intelligent population of 11.592 billion Elshians have some civil rights, but not too many, enjoy the freedom to spend their money however they like, to a point, and take part in free and open elections, although not too often.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Education, and Defence. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Nova. The average income tax rate is 54%. The private sector is almost wholly made up of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, although the government is looking at stamping this out.
The art of conversation has been rediscovered, murder victims' families receive windfall payouts when the murderers are executed, the government is avowedly atheist, and a weakened police force struggles to maintain law and order. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Elsh's national animal is the bison, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its currency is the bezant.
Most Recent Government Activity: 5 days ago
- 5 days ago: Elsh endorsed The Kingdom of Celestial Iliad.
- 5 days ago: Elsh was endorsed by The Dominion of Valve.
- 6 days ago: Elsh was endorsed by The Kingdom of Celestial Iliad.
- 11 days ago: Elsh fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most Godforsaken.
- 12 days ago: Elsh endorsed The Republic of Lusogaelicia.
- 12 days ago: Elsh was endorsed by The Republic of Lusogaelicia.
- 12 days ago: Elsh was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most World Assembly Endorsements (last census: Top 10%).
- 12 days ago: Elsh fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most World Assembly Endorsements.
- 13 days ago: Following new legislation in Elsh, a weakened police force struggles to maintain law and order.
- 13 days ago: Following new legislation in Elsh, the government is avowedly atheist.