The Republic of Elsh is a gargantuan, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by Andre Maia with an even hand, and renowned for its daily referendums, irreverence towards religion, and complete absence of social welfare. The compassionate, democratic, humorless population of 12.789 billion Elshians have some civil rights, but not too many, enjoy the freedom to spend their money however they like, to a point, and take part in free and open elections, although not too often.
The government — a sprawling, bureaucracy-choked morass — juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Education, and Defense. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Nova. The average income tax rate is 72.3%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The sizeable but stagnant Elshian economy, worth 51.1 trillion bezants a year, is extremely specialized and mostly made up of the Arms Manufacturing industry, with significant contributions from Information Technology. State-owned companies are reasonably common. Average income is 3,995 bezants, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 2.8 times as much as the poorest.
"To Hell or to Marshland" is a common settler cry directed at native Brasilistanis, the military is slashing spending on conventional arms and diverting it to spending on prosthetic arms, men avoid even so much as looking at female colleagues, and schools have extensive counseling programs for troubled students. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Elsh's national animal is the bison, which is also the nation's favorite main course.
Most Recent Government Activity: 1 day 17 hours ago
- 12 days ago: Elsh's influence in Portugal fell from "Instigator" to "Contender".
- 15 days ago: Elsh was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most World Assembly Endorsements (last census: Top 5%).
- 21 days ago: Following new legislation in Elsh, schools have extensive counseling programs for troubled students.
- 21 days ago: Following new legislation in Elsh, men avoid even so much as looking at female colleagues.
- 27 days ago: Elsh's influence in Portugal rose from "Contender" to "Instigator".
- 32 days ago: Elsh's influence in Portugal rose from "Negotiator" to "Contender".
- 36 days ago: Elsh endorsed The Constitutional Monarchy of New Lusitanea.
- 40 days ago: Elsh endorsed North coast portugal.
- 40 days ago: Elsh withdrew its endorsement from The Federation of Aldonin.
- 40 days ago: Elsh was endorsed by North coast portugal.