|Category: Civil Rights Lovefest|
Regional Influence: Hegemony
The Queen's State of Elgin Metcalfe is a gargantuan, socially progressive nation, renowned for its barren, inhospitable landscape. The hard-nosed, hard-working, intelligent population of 11.692 billion Elgin Metcalfeans hold their civil and political rights very dear, although the wealthy and those in business tend to be viewed with suspicion.
The medium-sized, liberal government juggles the competing demands of Social Welfare, Healthcare, and Education. The average income tax rate is 22%. A substantial private sector is led by the Woodchip Exports industry, followed by Retail and Trout Farming.
Voting is voluntary, surveillance cameras are banned, a large-scale revitalization of the education system is underway, and the alarmingly racist TV show 'Bigtopians Say the Darndest Things' is a hit. Crime is a problem, and the police force struggles against a lack of funding and a high mortality rate. Elgin Metcalfe's national animal is the deer, and its currency is the betale.
Most Recent Government Activity: 29 days ago
- 108 days ago: Elgin Metcalfe changed its national animal to "deer", its currency to "betale", and its nation type to "Queen's State".
- 109 days ago: Elgin Metcalfe was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Politically Free (last census: Top 1%).
- 150 days ago: Elgin Metcalfe lodged a message on the Ottawa Regional Message Board.
- 152 days ago: Elgin Metcalfe's influence in Ottawa fell from "Hermit" to "Hegemony".
- 153 days ago: Elgin Metcalfe changed its national nation type to "State".
- 153 days ago: Elgin Metcalfe agreed to construct embassies between Ottawa and Antwerp.
- 205 days ago: Elgin Metcalfe aborted construction of embassies between Ottawa and Confederate assembly.
- 205 days ago: Elgin Metcalfe agreed to construct embassies between Ottawa and Confederate assembly.
- 213 days ago: Elgin Metcalfe updated the World Factbook entry in Ottawa.
- 213 days ago: Elgin Metcalfe aborted construction of embassies between Ottawa and NAFTA.