|Category: Civil Rights Lovefest|
Regional Influence: Hermit
The Queen's State of Elgin Metcalfe is a gargantuan, socially progressive nation, notable for its absence of drug laws. The hard-nosed, hard-working, democratic population of 12.273 billion Elgin Metcalfeans hold their civil and political rights very dear, although the wealthy and those in business tend to be viewed with suspicion.
The large, liberal, outspoken government juggles the competing demands of Welfare, Healthcare, and Education. The average income tax rate is 33.2%.
The Elgin Metcalfean economy, worth 417 trillion betales a year, is quite specialized and led by the Woodchip Exports industry, with major contributions from Trout Farming, Retail, and Gambling. Black market activity is frequent. Average income is 33,995 betales, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 3.6 times as much as the poorest.
Voting is voluntary, surveillance cameras are banned, a large-scale revitalization of the education system is underway, and the alarmingly racist TV show 'Bigtopians Say the Darndest Things' is a hit. Crime is moderate, with the police force struggling against a lack of funding and a high mortality rate. Elgin Metcalfe's national animal is the deer.
Most Recent Government Activity: 2 days 14 hours ago
- 2 days 14 hours ago: Elgin Metcalfe altered the regional flag of Ottawa.
- 32 days ago: Elgin Metcalfe's influence in Ottawa rose from "Hegemony" to "Hermit".
- 206 days ago: Elgin Metcalfe changed its national animal to "deer", its currency to "betale", and its nation type to "Queen's State".
- 207 days ago: Elgin Metcalfe was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Politically Free (last census: Top 1%).
- 248 days ago: Elgin Metcalfe lodged a message on the Ottawa Regional Message Board.
- 250 days ago: Elgin Metcalfe's influence in Ottawa fell from "Hermit" to "Hegemony".
- 251 days ago: Elgin Metcalfe changed its national nation type to "State".
- 251 days ago: Elgin Metcalfe agreed to construct embassies between Ottawa and Antwerp.
- 302 days ago: Elgin Metcalfe aborted construction of embassies between Ottawa and Confederate assembly.
- 302 days ago: Elgin Metcalfe agreed to construct embassies between Ottawa and Confederate assembly.