|Category: Democratic Socialists|
Regional Influence: Superpower
Location: The Triphorian Empire
The United Nation of Elcana is a colossal, genial nation, ruled by President John Starkey with an even hand, and notable for its keen interest in outer space. The compassionate, intelligent population of 5.201 billion Elcanians are fiercely patriotic and enjoy great social equality; they tend to view other, more capitalist countries as somewhat immoral and corrupt.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent government stops and the rest of society begins, but it concentrates mainly on Education, although Social Welfare and Social Equality are on the agenda. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Kingstonbury. The average income tax rate is 98%. A powerhouse of a private sector is dominated by the Tourism industry.
Citizens are expected to be proficient in at least five languages, the government is avowedly atheist, teachers are routinely tested to keep their jobs, and companies struggle to cover for the hordes of employees on parental leave. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Elcana's national animal is the Gorrila, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its currency is the Elca.
Most Recent Government Activity: 19 minutes ago
- 1 day 13 hours ago: Elcana voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Convention on Fracking".
- 1 day 13 hours ago: Elcana was reclassified from "Scandinavian Liberal Paradise" to "Democratic Socialists".
- 2 days ago: Elcana voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Commend McMasterdonia".
- 2 days 17 hours ago: Elcana lodged a message on the The Triphorian Empire Regional Message Board.
- 3 days 1 hour ago: Following new legislation in Elcana, companies struggle to cover for the hordes of employees on parental leave.
- 3 days 13 hours ago: Following new legislation in Elcana, teachers are routinely tested to keep their jobs.
- 4 days ago: Following new legislation in Elcana, the government is avowedly atheist.
- 4 days ago: Elcana voted against the World Assembly Resolution "Liberate Capitalist Paradise".
- 4 days ago: Elcana voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Child Pornography Ban".
- 5 days ago: Following new legislation in Elcana, citizens are expected to be proficient in at least five languages.