“Si vis pacem, para bellum”
|Category: Civil Rights Lovefest|
Regional Influence: Minnow
The Republic of Ecans is a gargantuan, socially progressive nation, ruled by Senator Marcus Erectus with a fair hand, and remarkable for its punitive income tax rates. Its hard-nosed, intelligent population of 10.982 billion hold their civil and political rights very dear, although the wealthy and those in business tend to be viewed with suspicion.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent government stops and the rest of society begins, but it concentrates mainly on Education, although Defence and Law & Order are on the agenda. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Roma Deux. The average income tax rate is 73%. A powerhouse of a private sector is led by the Information Technology industry, followed by Book Publishing and Uranium Mining.
Referenda are held for every conceivable government action, construction of the Really Big Hadron Collider is underway, children are raised bilingual from an early age, and the government is avowedly atheist. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Ecans's national animal is the Grey Wolf, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to widespread deforestation, and its currency is the Denarii.
Most Recent Government Activity: 3 days 7 hours ago
- 4 days ago: Ecans was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Largest Furniture Restoration Industry (last census: Top 5%).
- 7 days ago: Ecans was reclassified from "New York Times Democracy" to "Civil Rights Lovefest".
- 9 days ago: Ecans was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Largest Cheese Export Sector (last census: Top 5%).
- 10 days ago: Ecans voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Reproductive Freedoms".
- 10 days ago: Ecans lodged a message on the Canada Regional Message Board.
- 14 days ago: Ecans fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most World Assembly Endorsements.
- 22 days ago: Ecans voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Condemn The Dourian Embassy".
- 26 days ago: Ecans withdrew its vote on the World Assembly Resolution "Fracking Protocol".
- 27 days ago: Ecans lodged a message on the Canada Regional Message Board.
- 27 days ago: Ecans voted against the World Assembly Resolution "Fracking Protocol".