The Queen's State of Desmonwood is a gargantuan, orderly nation, notable for its prohibition of alcohol, punitive income tax rates, and devotion to social welfare. The cynical population of 11.343 billion Desmonwoodians are ruled without fear or favor by a psychotic dictator, who outlaws just about everything and refers to the populace as "my little playthings."
The government — a sprawling, bureaucracy-choked, socially-minded, well-organized morass — juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Defense, and Environment. The average income tax rate is 89.3%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The large but sluggish Desmonwoodian economy, worth 273 trillion betales a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. The industrial sector, which is quite specialized, is led by the Arms Manufacturing industry, with significant contributions from Book Publishing, Soda Sales, and Door-to-door Insurance Sales. Average income is 24,105 betales, and distributed extremely evenly, with practically no difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
School uniforms are compulsory, none has been named as Desmonwood's national religion, the alarmingly racist TV show 'Bigtopians Say the Darndest Things' is a hit, and teams of painters are converting road signs from horse lengths to kilometers. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Desmonwood's national animal is the deer, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its national religion is none.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Desmonwood was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Longest Average Lifespans.
- : Desmonwood was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Largest Welfare Programs.
- : Desmonwood was ranked in the Top 1% of the region for Most Eco-Friendly Governments.
- : Desmonwood's influence in Ancient Lands rose from "Minnow" to "Sprat".
- : Desmonwood was ranked in the Top 1% of the region for Highest Police Ratios.
- : Desmonwood's influence in Ancient Lands rose from "Nipper" to "Minnow".
- : Desmonwood's influence in Ancient Lands rose from "Newcomer" to "Nipper".
- : Desmonwood's influence in Ancient Lands rose from "Zero" to "Newcomer".
- : Desmonwood relocated from Guayaquil to Ancient Lands.
- : Desmonwood relocated from Ards to Guayaquil.