The Federation of Des-Bal is a gargantuan, socially progressive nation, ruled by Vincent Aldremi with an iron fist, and renowned for its barren, inhospitable landscape, strictly enforced bedtime, and complete absence of social welfare. The hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical, humorless population of 11.417 billion Des-Balians are rabid consumers, partly through choice and partly because the government tells them to and dissenters tend to vanish from their homes at night.
The minute, corrupt, pro-business, well-organized government, or what there is of one, prioritizes Defense, although Law & Order and Industry are also considered important, while Social Policy and Environment are ignored. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Des-Hagir. Income tax is unheard of.
The frighteningly efficient Des-Balian economy, worth a remarkable 3,532 trillion Khuuls a year, is driven almost entirely by the private sector, which is broadly diversified and led by the Arms Manufacturing industry, with significant contributions from Uranium Mining, Retail, and Automobile Manufacturing. Average income is an amazing 309,399 Khuuls, but there is a vast disparity between incomes, with the richest 10% of citizens earning 2,759,840 per year while the poor average 4,617, a ratio of 597 to 1.
Humongo-Mart's Beef 'n Scorpion Lasagne is a hit, surrealist houses shaped like mushrooms and volcanoes dominate the wealthiest neighborhoods, computer users are buried daily in thousands of unsolicited emails, and penurious citizens die from easily remedied ailments because they aren't 'taking enough initiative'. Crime is almost non-existent. Des-Bal's national animal is the Scorpion, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its national religion is Capitalism.
Most Recent Government Activity: 14 days ago
- 1 day 5 hours ago: Des-Bal fell out of the regional Top 10% for Greatest Rich-Poor Divides.
- 12 days ago: Des-Bal fell out of the regional Top 10% for Rudest Citizens.
- 15 days ago: Des-Bal was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Public Sector.
- 22 days ago: Des-Bal's influence in House of Five Leaves rose from "Power" to "Superpower".
- 25 days ago: Des-Bal fell out of the regional Top 10% for Lowest Unemployment Rates.
- 27 days ago: Des-Bal fell out of the regional Top 10% for Largest Retail Industry.
- 39 days ago: Des-Bal fell out of the regional Top 10% for Largest Cheese Export Sector.
- 42 days ago: Des-Bal fell out of the regional Top 10% for Highest Police Ratios.
- 45 days ago: Des-Bal fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most Corrupt Governments.
- 46 days ago: Des-Bal was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Largest Publishing Industry (last census: Top 1%).