The Protectorate of Costa Rioja is a gargantuan, efficient nation, renowned for its complete lack of public education and complete absence of social welfare. The hard-nosed, hard-working, democratic population of 11.204 billion Costa Riojans are effectively ruled by a group of massive corporations, who run for political office and provide their well-off citizens with world-class goods and services. Their poorer citizens, however, are mostly starving to death while being urged to go out and get real jobs. The populace has reasonably extensive civil rights, although these are mostly aimed at allowing them to buy whatever they like.
The relatively small, outspoken government prioritizes Spirituality, with Industry and Law & Order also on the agenda, while Healthcare and Public Transport are ignored. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 9.5%.
The thriving Costa Riojan economy, worth 312 trillion points a year, is highly specialized and led by the Soda Sales industry, with major contributions from Information Technology and Furniture Restoration. Average income is 27,907 points, but there is a significant disparity between incomes, with the richest 10% of citizens earning 80,822 per year while the poor average 7,636, a ratio of 10.6 to 1.
Crime is a serious problem, with the police force struggling against a lack of funding and a high mortality rate. Costa Rioja's national animal is the seagull, which soars majestically through the nation's famously clear skies.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Costa Rioja's influence in OS Territory of Valladares fell from "Superpower" to "Eminence Grise".
- : Costa Rioja's influence in OS Territory of Valladares rose from "Eminence Grise" to "Superpower".
- : Costa Rioja voted for The United Federation of Eura in Round 2 of the election.
- : Costa Rioja voted for The United Federation of Eura in Round 1 of the election.
- : Costa Rioja was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Largest Furniture Restoration Industry and Largest Soda Pop Sector and the Top 10% for Rudest Citizens, Highest Crime Rates, and Largest Populations.
- : Costa Rioja was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Populations.
- : Costa Rioja fell out of the world Top 10% for Lowest Overall Tax Burden.
- : Costa Rioja's influence in OS Territory of Valladares fell from "Powerbroker" to "Eminence Grise".
- : Costa Rioja's influence in OS Territory of Valladares fell from "Power" to "Powerbroker".
- : Costa Rioja's influence in OS Territory of Valladares fell from "Hermit" to "Power".