“Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness”
|Category: Corporate Bordello|
Regional Influence: Minnow
Location: The New Commonwealth Society
The Republic of Corinova Island is a colossal, socially progressive nation, ruled by President Warren Ulysses Builder with a fair hand, and renowned for its complete absence of social welfare. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, intelligent population of 6.332 billion are effectively ruled by a group of massive corporations, who run for political office and provide their well-off citizens with world-class goods and services. Their poorer citizens, however, are mostly starving to death while being urged to go out and get real jobs. The populace has reasonably extensive civil rights, although these are mostly aimed at allowing them to buy whatever they like.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent government stops and the rest of society begins, but it concentrates mainly on Defence, although Education and Commerce are on the agenda. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Mount Vineyard. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 71%. A powerhouse of a private sector is led by the Tourism industry, followed by Book Publishing and Arms Manufacturing.
The nation has welcomed its expats back with open arms, citizens can be frequently spotted going about their business stark naked, billions of Civitass are being blown on orbital weapons development, and military spending is on the increase. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is a problem. Corinova Island's national animal is the Mountain Lion, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its currency is the Civitas.
Most Recent Government Activity: 16 days ago
- 2 days 18 hours ago: Corinova Island was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Best Weather.
- 13 days ago: Corinova Island was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Lowest Unemployment Rates.
- 20 days ago: Corinova Island was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Scientifically Advanced.
- 24 days ago: Corinova Island was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Largest Public Transport Department.
- 28 days ago: Corinova Island relocated from Lazarus to The New Commonwealth Society.
- 39 days ago: Corinova Island was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Beautiful Environments.
- 54 days ago: Corinova Island was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Rebellious Youth.
- 66 days ago: Corinova Island fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most Popular Tourist Destinations.
- 90 days ago: Corinova Island was refounded in Lazarus.
- 128 days ago: Corinova Island ceased to exist.