“Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness”
|Category: Corporate Bordello|
Regional Influence: Power
Location: The Commonwealth Society
The Republic of Corinova Island is a massive, cultured nation, ruled by President Warren Ulysses Builder with a fair hand, and remarkable for its punitive income tax rates. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, intelligent population of 4.595 billion are effectively ruled by a group of massive corporations, who run for political office and provide their well-off citizens with world-class goods and services. Their poorer citizens, however, are mostly starving to death while being urged to go out and get real jobs. The populace has reasonably extensive civil rights, although these are mostly aimed at allowing them to buy whatever they like.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent government stops and the rest of society begins, but it is mainly concerned with Defence, although Education and Commerce are on the agenda. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Mount Vineyard. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 71%. A powerhouse of a private sector is led by the Tourism industry, followed by Book Publishing and Arms Manufacturing.
The nation has welcomed its expats back with open arms, citizens can be frequently spotted going about their business stark naked, billions of Civitass are being blown on orbital weapons development, and military spending is on the increase. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is a problem. Corinova Island's national animal is the Mountain Lion, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its currency is the Civitas.
Most Recent Government Activity: 7 hours ago
- 4 days ago: Corinova Island fell out of the world Top 5% for Most Politically Free.
- 31 days ago: Corinova Island fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most Subsidized Industry.
- 35 days ago: Corinova Island was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Popular Tourist Destinations.
- 40 days ago: Corinova Island was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Developed.
- 53 days ago: Corinova Island fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most Armed.
- 56 days ago: Corinova Island lodged a message on the The Commonwealth Society Regional Message Board.
- 57 days ago: Corinova Island fell out of the regional Top 10% for Fastest-Growing Economies.
- 65 days ago: Corinova Island fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most Politically Free.
- 82 days ago: Corinova Island was reclassified from "New York Times Democracy" to "Corporate Bordello".
- 83 days ago: Corinova Island fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most Pro-Market.
Endorsements Received: None.