The United Papal States of Cologne and Karlsburg is a gargantuan, orderly nation, renowned for its compulsory military service, sprawling nuclear power plants, and punitive income tax rates. The hard-working, cynical, devout population of 16.755 billion Cologne and Karlsburgians are ruled by a mostly-benevolent dictator, who grants the populace the freedom to live their own lives but watches carefully for anyone to slip up.
The large, well-organized government juggles the competing demands of Spirituality, Law & Order, and Defense. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 52.1%.
The strong Cologne and Karlsburgian economy, worth 865 trillion Imperial Opis a year, is quite specialized and led by the Uranium Mining industry, with significant contributions from Woodchip Exports, Arms Manufacturing, and Retail. Black market activity is frequent. Average income is 51,666 Imperial Opis, with the richest citizens earning 6.4 times as much as the poorest.
Children are raised bilingual from an early age, the nation's massive battleships are often mistaken for islands, reporters often lose their jobs over fact-checking errors, and the mob and the police have recently had numerous clashes in the back alleys of Cologne and Karlsburg's cities due to the government's steadfast anti-casino stance. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to a very well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Cologne and Karlsburg's national animal is the Casinian Lion, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its national religion is Colognian Catholicism.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Cologne and Karlsburg's influence in European Continent rose from "Vassal" to "Truckler".
- : Cologne and Karlsburg was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Largest Populations, Largest Black Market, and Largest Mining Sector and the Top 10% for Highest Economic Output and Largest Timber Woodchipping Industry.
- : Cologne and Karlsburg's influence in European Continent rose from "Apprentice" to "Vassal".
- : Cologne and Karlsburg's influence in European Continent rose from "Squire" to "Apprentice".
- : Cologne and Karlsburg's influence in European Continent rose from "Page" to "Squire".
- : Cologne and Karlsburg was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Mining Sector.
- : Cologne and Karlsburg fell out of the world Top 10% for Most Devout.
- : Cologne and Karlsburg relocated from Balder to European Continent.
- : Cologne and Karlsburg was refounded in Balder.
- : Cologne and Karlsburg ceased to exist.