“...where are we?”
|Category: Left-Leaning College State|
Regional Influence: Hermit
Location: The Transcended Plane
The Retired Nation of Chetkosk is a colossal, economically powerful nation, ruled by Chancellor Bogdan Mikhailovich with an even hand, and remarkable for its punitive income tax rates. The hard-nosed, hard-working population of 7.29 billion Chetkoskies enjoy extensive civil freedoms, particularly in social issues, while business tends to be more regulated.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, corrupt government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Defence, Law & Order, and Education. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of New Berlinengrad. The average income tax rate is 84%, and even higher for the wealthy. A powerhouse of a private sector is led by the Uranium Mining, Tourism, and Gambling industries.
School uniforms are compulsory, protesters are up in arms over new nuclear power stations, citizens are expected to be proficient in at least five languages, and the military struggles with recruitment. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Chetkosk's national animal is the Tundra Bear, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to widespread deforestation, its national religion is Slavic Orthodox, and its currency is the Chetmark.
Most Recent Government Activity: 13 days ago
- 7 days ago: Chetkosk fell out of the world Top 10% for Largest Arms Manufacturing Sector.
- 9 days ago: Chetkosk fell out of the world Top 10% for Largest Populations.
- 15 days ago: Chetkosk was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Timber Woodchipping Industry (last census: Top 5%).
- 15 days ago: Chetkosk changed its national nation type to "Retired Nation".
- 16 days ago: Chetkosk changed its national motto to "...where are we?".
- 16 days ago: Chetkosk changed its national nation type to "Transient Republic".
- 33 days ago: Chetkosk fell out of the world Top 10% for Largest Defense Forces.
- 34 days ago: Chetkosk changed its national demonym to "Chetkoski", its demonym adjective to "Chetkoski", and its demonym plural to "Chetkoskies".
- 37 days ago: Chetkosk was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Automobile Manufacturing Sector (last census: Top 5%).
- 41 days ago: Chetkosk fell out of the world Top 10% for Highest Average Tax Rates.