The Gran Marca Espanola of Catalpha is a gargantuan, cultured nation, ruled by HRH Prince Felipe de Borbón with an even hand, and renowned for its national health service, anti-smoking policies, and absence of drug laws. The compassionate, democratic, devout population of 10.426 billion Catalphans have some civil rights, but not too many, enjoy the freedom to spend their money however they like, to a point, and take part in free and open elections, although not too often.
The government — a sprawling, bureaucracy-choked morass — juggles the competing demands of Education, Environment, and Welfare. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Miramonte. The average income tax rate is 89.8%.
The sizeable but stagnant Catalphan economy, worth 62.3 trillion Occitan Euros a year, is extremely specialized and solely comprised of the Book Publishing industry. State-owned companies are reasonably common. Average income is 5,974 Occitan Euros, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 4.3 times as much as the poorest.
Political parties are banned from advertising and receiving private donations, school uniforms are compulsory, dog breeding has been banned in accordance with recent animal experimentation laws, and postmen have been arrested in job lots for selling junk mail as home insulation. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Catalpha's national animal is the Spanish Eagle, which soars majestically through the nation's famously clear skies.
Most Recent Government Activity: 20 days ago
- 12 days ago: Catalpha was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Pacifist (last census: Top 10%).
- 14 days ago: Catalpha's influence in Occitania fell from "Eminence Grise" to "Enforcer".
- 14 days ago: Catalpha's influence in Occitania rose from "Enforcer" to "Eminence Grise".
- 20 days ago: Catalpha's influence in Occitania fell from "Eminence Grise" to "Enforcer".
- 32 days ago: Catalpha fell out of the regional Top 10% for Safest.
- 33 days ago: Catalpha's influence in Occitania rose from "Dealmaker" to "Eminence Grise".
- 49 days ago: Catalpha fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most Politically Apathetic Citizens.
- 55 days ago: Catalpha fell out of the regional Top 10% for Smartest Citizens.
- 56 days ago: Catalpha fell out of the world Top 10% for Best Weather.
- 56 days ago: Catalpha fell out of the regional Top 10% for Best Weather.