“In hoc signo vinces”
|Category: Liberal Democratic Socialists|
Regional Influence: Minnow
Location: the Rejected Realms
The Holy Empire of Byzant is a gargantuan, devout nation, notable for its hatred of cheese. The compassionate, intelligent population of 20.824 billion Byzantians love a good election, and the government gives them plenty of them. Universities tend to be full of students debating the merits of various civil and political rights, while businesses are tightly regulated and the wealthy viewed with suspicion.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, corrupt, socially-minded government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Religion & Spirituality, and Education. The average income tax rate is 5%, but much higher for the wealthy. A powerhouse of a private sector is dominated by the Uranium Mining industry.
Notable individuals are granted land and titles, meat-eating is frowned upon, the mining industry is making inroads into environmentally sensitive areas, and the government seizes all major gold finds. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Byzant's national animal is the eagle, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to toxic air pollution, and its currency is the bezant.
Most Recent Government Activity: 17 hours ago
- 1 day 11 hours ago: Following new legislation in Byzant, the government seizes all major gold finds.
- 2 days 11 hours ago: Following new legislation in Byzant, the mining industry is making inroads into environmentally sensitive areas.
- 2 days 11 hours ago: Following new legislation in Byzant, meat-eating is frowned upon.
- 3 days 11 hours ago: Following new legislation in Byzant, notable individuals are granted land and titles.
- 4 days ago: Following new legislation in Byzant, tax evaders are regularly visited by agents of the Byzant Blood Tithe.
- 6 days ago: Following new legislation in Byzant, violently opinionated speakers can be heard preaching their hateful views on every street corner.
- 6 days ago: Following new legislation in Byzant, prisoners work-share to cut down rising costs of keeping them in jail.
- 7 days ago: Following new legislation in Byzant, abortion is only legal in unusual circumstances.
- 8 days ago: Following new legislation in Byzant, a survey of the nation's rivers and children has shown that pesticide levels are at an all-time regional high.
- 10 days ago: Byzant altered its national flag.
Endorsements Received: 23 » --Camila--, Empirix, Zyonn, Zdravstvuite, Trawa, Unavailable, Liuchong, Bvriania, Stabilitatem, Xii, Al Bessarabia, Cocaine factory island, Sedgistan, Unibot III, Hurbania, Addled Braintopia, Smurflandia, Hallowell, Hemingford, Pan-Euroasia, Marrow Wind, Arutiise, and Rolf harris.