“In hoc signo vinces”
|Category: Liberal Democratic Socialists|
Regional Influence: Minnow
Location: the Rejected Realms
The Holy Empire of Byzant is a gargantuan, socially progressive nation, remarkable for its happy-go-lucky citizens. The compassionate, intelligent population of 20.665 billion Byzantians love a good election, and the government gives them plenty of them. Universities tend to be full of students debating the merits of various civil and political rights, while businesses are tightly regulated and the wealthy viewed with suspicion.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, corrupt, socially-minded government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Religion & Spirituality, and Education. The average income tax rate is 8%, but much higher for the wealthy. A powerhouse of a private sector is dominated by the Uranium Mining industry.
Aeroplanes have been converted into housing units after all air travel was outlawed, euthanasia is legal, people take government jobs for the frequent flier miles, and immigrant herding has become a national pastime. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Byzant's national animal is the eagle, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to toxic air pollution, and its currency is the bezant.
Most Recent Government Activity: 20 hours ago
- 14 hours ago: Following new legislation in Byzant, immigrant herding has become a national pastime.
- 20 hours ago: Byzant voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Individual Working Freedoms".
- 1 day ago: Byzant was endorsed by The Democratic Republic of Emmers.
- 1 day 14 hours ago: Following new legislation in Byzant, people take government jobs for the frequent flier miles.
- 2 days 14 hours ago: Following new legislation in Byzant, euthanasia is legal.
- 3 days 1 hour ago: Byzant was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Highest Police Ratios (last census: Top 1%).
- 3 days 14 hours ago: Following new legislation in Byzant, aeroplanes have been converted into housing units after all air travel was outlawed.
- 7 days ago: Following new legislation in Byzant, Rupert Bear is considered to be the most risqué TV programme in Byzant.
- 9 days ago: Following new legislation in Byzant, all writing must pass a censorship board before being allowed on the shelves.
- 9 days ago: Following new legislation in Byzant, the judicial system legislates morality.
Endorsements Received: 24 » --Camila--, Empirix, Zyonn, Zdravstvuite, Trawa, Unavailable, Liuchong, Bvriania, Stabilitatem, Xii, Al Bessarabia, Cocaine factory island, Sedgistan, Unibot III, Hurbania, Addled Braintopia, Smurflandia, Hallowell, Hemingford, Pan-Euroasia, Marrow Wind, Arutiise, Rolf harris, and Emmers.