“In hoc signo vinces”
|Category: Liberal Democratic Socialists|
Regional Influence: Vassal
Location: the Rejected Realms
The Holy Empire of Byzant is a gargantuan, safe nation, renowned for its ban on automobiles. The compassionate, intelligent population of 21.174 billion Byzantians love a good election, and the government gives them plenty of them. Universities tend to be full of students debating the merits of various civil and political rights, while businesses are tightly regulated and the wealthy viewed with suspicion.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, corrupt government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Religion & Spirituality, and Education. The average income tax rate is 14%, but much higher for the wealthy. A powerhouse of a private sector is dominated by the Uranium Mining industry.
Nudity is frowned upon, CDs are regularly copy-protected, the recently unemployed can often be seen at the local homeless shelter, and oil executives can be seen reluctantly cleaning oil-soaked birds. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Byzant's national animal is the eagle, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to toxic air pollution, and its currency is the bezant.
Most Recent Government Activity: 1 day 15 hours ago
- 1 day 9 hours ago: Following new legislation in Byzant, oil executives can be seen reluctantly cleaning oil-soaked birds.
- 1 day 9 hours ago: Following new legislation in Byzant, the recently unemployed can often be seen at the local homeless shelter.
- 2 days 9 hours ago: Following new legislation in Byzant, CDs are regularly copy-protected.
- 4 days ago: Following new legislation in Byzant, nudity is frowned upon.
- 4 days ago: Byzant endorsed The Rogue Nation of The tiny dot.
- 4 days ago: Byzant was endorsed by The Rogue Nation of The tiny dot.
- 5 days ago: Following new legislation in Byzant, government officials frequently cut taxes as a distraction from antics with their secretaries.
- 6 days ago: Following new legislation in Byzant, the mining industry is making inroads into environmentally sensitive areas.
- 6 days ago: Byzant voted against the World Assembly Resolution "Anti-Counterfeiting Pact".
- 8 days ago: Following new legislation in Byzant, commercial jingles have been ham-handedly forced into world renowned symphonies.
Endorsements Received: 28 » --Camila--, Empirix, Zyonn, Zdravstvuite, Trawa, Unavailable, Liuchong, Bvriania, Stabilitatem, Cocaine factory island, Sedgistan, Unibot III, Hurbania, Addled Braintopia, Smurflandia, Hemingford, Pan-Euroasia, Marrow Wind, Arutiise, Rolf harris, Golarion, Keefenstein, Sarotte, Moerderreich, Farmora, Eight Hippopotamuses, Loftegen, and The tiny dot.