“In hoc signo vinces”
|Category: Liberal Democratic Socialists|
Regional Influence: Minnow
Location: the Rejected Realms
The Holy Empire of Byzant is a gargantuan, safe nation, notable for its ban on automobiles. The compassionate, intelligent population of 20.766 billion Byzantians love a good election, and the government gives them plenty of them. Universities tend to be full of students debating the merits of various civil and political rights, while businesses are tightly regulated and the wealthy viewed with suspicion.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, corrupt, socially-minded government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Religion & Spirituality, and Education. The average income tax rate is 8%, but much higher for the wealthy. A powerhouse of a private sector is dominated by the Uranium Mining industry.
Artists are pillars of society, the recently unemployed can often be seen at the local homeless shelter, the fire protection service is wholly government-funded, and healthcare funding has been cut. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Byzant's national animal is the eagle, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to toxic air pollution, and its currency is the bezant.
Most Recent Government Activity: 8 hours ago
- 1 day 9 hours ago: Byzant altered its national flag.
- 2 days 3 hours ago: Following new legislation in Byzant, healthcare funding has been cut.
- 3 days 3 hours ago: Following new legislation in Byzant, the fire protection service is wholly government-funded.
- 3 days 3 hours ago: Following new legislation in Byzant, the recently unemployed can often be seen at the local homeless shelter.
- 12 days ago: Following new legislation in Byzant, artists are pillars of society.
- 12 days ago: Byzant was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Lowest Overall Tax Burden.
- 12 days ago: Byzant was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Lowest Overall Tax Burden.
- 15 days ago: Following new legislation in Byzant, students who refuse to pray are expelled from school.
- 15 days ago: Byzant endorsed The Civilrights Lovefest of Emmers.
- 16 days ago: Following new legislation in Byzant, politicians accepting drinks in bars are executed for taking bribes.
Endorsements Received: 23 » --Camila--, Empirix, Zyonn, Zdravstvuite, Trawa, Unavailable, Liuchong, Bvriania, Stabilitatem, Xii, Al Bessarabia, Cocaine factory island, Sedgistan, Unibot III, Hurbania, Addled Braintopia, Smurflandia, Hallowell, Hemingford, Pan-Euroasia, Marrow Wind, Arutiise, and Rolf harris.