“In hoc signo vinces”
|Category: Inoffensive Centrist Democracy|
Regional Influence: Minnow
Location: the Rejected Realms
The Holy Empire of Byzant is a gargantuan, cultured nation, notable for its barren, inhospitable landscape. Its compassionate, intelligent population of 19.587 billion have some civil rights, but not too many, enjoy the freedom to spend their money however they like, to a point, and take part in free and open elections, although not too often.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, corrupt government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Religion & Spirituality, and Education. The average income tax rate is 4%, but much higher for the wealthy. A powerhouse of a private sector is dominated by the Uranium Mining industry.
Crime suspects are forced to submit to blood testing, CDs are regularly copy-protected, Rupert Bear is considered to be the most risqué TV programme in Byzant, and the government has ordered a moratorium on referenda. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Byzant's national animal is the eagle, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to widespread deforestation, and its currency is the bezant.
Most Recent Government Activity: 1 day 15 hours ago
- 1 day 9 hours ago: Following new legislation in Byzant, the government has ordered a moratorium on referenda.
- 1 day 9 hours ago: Following new legislation in Byzant, Rupert Bear is considered to be the most risqué TV programme in Byzant.
- 3 days 23 hours ago: Byzant was endorsed by The Armed Republic of Mercenary Pit.
- 4 days ago: Byzant was endorsed by The Grand Duchy of Hallowell.
- 4 days ago: Byzant was endorsed by The Matriarchal Raider Shogunate of Twisted Amazon.
- 4 days ago: Following new legislation in Byzant, CDs are regularly copy-protected.
- 4 days ago: Following new legislation in Byzant, crime suspects are forced to submit to blood testing.
- 4 days ago: Byzant voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Cultural Site Preservation".
- 5 days ago: Following new legislation in Byzant, phone taps are frequently carried out by the police.
- 6 days ago: Following new legislation in Byzant, fur coats have become the latest fashion trend.
Endorsements Received: 22 » --Camila--, Empirix, Zyonn, Zdravstvuite, Emville, Aiyaskye, Trawa, Strana Mechty, Frattastan II, Unavailable, Liuchong, The Horror Channel, Bvriania, FiveShadows, LiabiIities, Stabilitatem, Xii, Mikeganistan, Knife Point Hollow, Twisted Amazon, Hallowell, and Mercenary Pit.