“Mother of the Free”
|Category: Corporate Bordello|
Regional Influence: Hegemony
Location: European Coal and Steel Community
The Crown Commonwealth of Britannic Realms is a colossal, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by King Christian I with a fair hand, and remarkable for its hatred of cheese. The hard-nosed, hard-working, intelligent population of 5.88 billion Britons are effectively ruled by a group of massive corporations, who run for political office and provide their well-off citizens with world-class goods and services. Their poorer citizens, however, are mostly starving to death while being urged to go out and get real jobs. The populace has reasonably extensive civil rights, although these are mostly aimed at allowing them to buy whatever they like.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Defence, and Commerce. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of London. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 69%. A powerhouse of a private sector is dominated by the Retail industry.
Eminent domain has been abolished, a primitive society is being eroded as its youth flock to the modern world, employers may fire workers without giving any reason, and birth rates have hit an all-time low. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Britannic Realms's national animal is the Lion, which is also the nation's favorite main course, its national religion is Church of England, and its currency is the Pound.
Most Recent Government Activity: 6 days ago
- 6 days ago: Britannic Realms was reclassified from "New York Times Democracy" to "Corporate Bordello".
- 6 days ago: Following new legislation in Britannic Realms, birth rates have hit an all-time low.
- 6 days ago: Following new legislation in Britannic Realms, employers may fire workers without giving any reason.
- 6 days ago: Following new legislation in Britannic Realms, a primitive society is being eroded as its youth flock to the modern world.
- 6 days ago: Following new legislation in Britannic Realms, eminent domain has been abolished.
- 6 days ago: Following new legislation in Britannic Realms, the government seizes all major gold finds.
- 26 days ago: Britannic Realms's influence in European Coal and Steel Community fell from "Hermit" to "Hegemony".
- 50 days ago: Britannic Realms updated the World Factbook entry in European Coal and Steel Community.
- 61 days ago: Britannic Realms fell out of the world Top 10% for Most Subsidized Industry.
- 64 days ago: Britannic Realms was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Developed (last census: Top 5%).
Endorsements Received: None.