The Queen's State of Blue Thorn is a gargantuan, safe nation, remarkable for its strictly enforced bedtime, punitive income tax rates, and suspicion of poets. The hard-nosed, cynical population of 12.789 billion Blue Thornians are ruled without fear or favor by a psychotic dictator, who outlaws just about everything and refers to the populace as "my little playthings."
The government — a sprawling, bureaucracy-choked, corrupt, moralistic, socially-minded, well-organized morass — juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Defense, and Spirituality. The average income tax rate is 73.2%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The sizeable but stagnant Blue Thornian economy, worth 45.4 trillion betales a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. However, for those in the know, there is a large, well-organized, highly specialized black market in Trout Farming, Soda Sales, and Uranium Mining. The private sector mostly consists of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, but the government is looking at stamping this out. Average income is 3,548 betales, and distributed extremely evenly, with practically no difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Artists are jailed regularly and art-burning parties are common, teenagers are sent to jail for being out too late, suppression of pro-democracy protests is a daily occurrence, and none has been named as Blue Thorn's national religion. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Blue Thorn's national animal is the deer, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its national religion is none.
Most Recent Government Activity: 35 days ago
- 7 days ago: Blue Thorn was ranked in the Top 1% of the world for Most Extreme (last census: Top 5%).
- 26 days ago: Blue Thorn was ranked #1 in the region for Most Income Equality (last census: Top 1%).
- 27 days ago: Blue Thorn fell out of the world Top 10% for Shortest Average Lifespan.
- 40 days ago: Blue Thorn was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Influential (last census: Top 5%).
- 68 days ago: Blue Thorn was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Most Influential.
- 88 days ago: Blue Thorn was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most World Assembly Endorsements.
- 108 days ago: Blue Thorn was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Lowest Crime Rates.
- 109 days ago: Blue Thorn was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Largest Defense Forces (last census: Top 10%).
- 112 days ago: Blue Thorn fell out of the regional Top 5% for Most Extreme.
- 116 days ago: Blue Thorn was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Most Devout.