“With Justice For All”
|Category: New York Times Democracy|
Regional Influence: Eminence Grise
Location: European Union
The Federal Republic of Belarum is a gargantuan, safe nation, ruled by President Evan Burke with a fair hand, and remarkable for its complete absence of social welfare. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, intelligent population of 17.552 billion enjoy a sensible mix of personal and economic freedoms, while the political process is open and the people's right to vote held sacrosanct.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Education, Commerce, and Healthcare. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Bastia. The average income tax rate is 49%, but much higher for the wealthy. A powerhouse of a private sector is dominated by the Information Technology industry.
Parents live in fear of governmental 'child protection' squads, recruitment posters proclaim the army to be both fabulous and fashionable, the wearing and manufacture of fur apparel is banned, and droves of former desperados are applying to join the border police. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Belarum's national animal is the eagle, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its currency is the euro.
Most Recent Government Activity: 12 days ago
- 12 days ago: Following new legislation in Belarum, droves of former desperados are applying to join the border police.
- 12 days ago: Following new legislation in Belarum, the wearing and manufacture of fur apparel is banned.
- 12 days ago: Following new legislation in Belarum, recruitment posters proclaim the army to be both fabulous and fashionable.
- 27 days ago: Belarum was ranked in the Top 1% of the world for Most Godforsaken (last census: Top 5%).
- 27 days ago: Belarum was reclassified from "Inoffensive Centrist Democracy" to "New York Times Democracy".
- 28 days ago: Belarum fell out of the world Top 10% for Most Extensive Civil Rights.
- 36 days ago: Belarum was endorsed by The Double State of Hyfling.
- 36 days ago: Belarum was endorsed by The Second Arctic Republic of Qvait.
- 36 days ago: Belarum was endorsed by The People's Republic of Kadolha.
- 37 days ago: Belarum was struck by a Cure Missile from The Confederacy of Gun-Toting Animals, curing 1 million infected.
Endorsements Received: 21 » GroBdeutsches Reich, New Arpad, Marrakechia, Duxburian Union, Transwinschoterdiepia, Occoron, Pax Aurea, Gun-Toting Animals, Cenabum, Tierra del Helios, Kryuland, West Embria, Brgod, Beesonopolis, Nouvelle Picardie, Europe Coalition, Provident Nation, The Highterlands, Transistria, Kadolha, and Qvait.