“With Justice For All”
|Category: New York Times Democracy|
Regional Influence: Eminence Grise
Location: European Union
The Federal Republic of Belarum is a gargantuan, economically powerful nation, ruled by President Evan Burke with a fair hand, and notable for its unlimited-speed roads. The hard-nosed, hard-working, intelligent population of 19.07 billion Belarians enjoy a sensible mix of personal and economic freedoms, while the political process is open and the people's right to vote held sacrosanct.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Education, Commerce, and Defence. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Bastia. The average income tax rate is 45%, but much higher for the wealthy. A powerhouse of a private sector is dominated by the Information Technology industry.
Meat-eating is frowned upon, crowds of flag-burning protesters tend to accidentally become crowds of burning protesters, citizens must pay to enjoy Belarum's pristine beaches, and it's always rabbit season. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Belarum's national animal is the eagle, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its currency is the euro.
Most Recent Government Activity: 6 days ago
- 21 hours ago: Belarum was endorsed by The Grand Sovereign Confederacy of Ventelia.
- 4 days ago: Belarum was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Politically Apathetic Citizens (last census: Top 1%).
- 5 days ago: Following new legislation in Belarum, it's always rabbit season.
- 5 days ago: Following new legislation in Belarum, citizens must pay to enjoy Belarum's pristine beaches.
- 5 days ago: Following new legislation in Belarum, crowds of flag-burning protesters tend to accidentally become crowds of burning protesters.
- 20 days ago: Belarum was endorsed by The Federal Republic of GroBdeutsches Reich.
- 24 days ago: Following new legislation in Belarum, meat-eating is frowned upon.
- 24 days ago: Following new legislation in Belarum, the government extracts trade concessions from poor nations in exchange for humanitarian aid.
- 24 days ago: Following new legislation in Belarum, fancy dress parties are raided by military police for new recruits.
- 27 days ago: Belarum fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most Average.