The Republic of Beirut City is a colossal, efficient nation, notable for its barren, inhospitable landscape, multi-spousal wedding ceremonies, and smutty television. The hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical, devout population of 6.153 billion Beirut Cityians are ruled by a mostly-benevolent dictator, who grants the populace the freedom to live their own lives but watches carefully for anyone to slip up.
The large, corrupt, well-organized government juggles the competing demands of Defense, Law & Order, and Spirituality. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Beirut City City. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 60.5%.
The powerhouse Beirut Cityian economy, worth 536 trillion Lire a year, is broadly diversified and led by the Arms Manufacturing industry, with major contributions from Gambling, Uranium Mining, and Soda Sales. Black market activity is extensive. Average income is 87,179 Lire, with the richest citizens earning 7.3 times as much as the poorest.
The government snoops on private internet connections, sex offenders find themselves cut off from the ability to repeat their crimes, highschool principals regularly send armed truancy patrols to drag problem students to school, and UFO sightings are listed daily in the morning news. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to a well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Beirut City's national animal is the Birds, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to toxic air pollution.
Most Recent Government Activity: 43 days ago
- 2 days 18 hours ago: Beirut City was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Rebellious Youth (last census: Top 10%).
- 3 days 18 hours ago: Beirut City was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Soda Pop Sector.
- 43 days ago: Beirut City lodged a message on the Middle East Regional Message Board.
- 71 days ago: Beirut City lodged a message on the Middle East Regional Message Board.
- 72 days ago: Beirut City lodged a message on the Middle East Regional Message Board.
- 76 days ago: Beirut City changed its national capital to "Beirut City City".
- 76 days ago: Beirut City lodged a message on the Middle East Regional Message Board.
- 76 days ago: Beirut City relocated from Lazarus to Middle East.
- 76 days ago: Beirut City was refounded in Lazarus.
- 87 days ago: Beirut City ceased to exist.