“Post hoc ergo propter hoc”
|Category: Corporate Police State|
Regional Influence: Contender
The Democratic Republic of Basketweaving Monkeys is a colossal, economically powerful nation, ruled by Lee Gustafen with an iron fist, and renowned for its complete lack of public education. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 6.439 billion are ruled with an iron fist by the corrupt, dictatorship government, which oppresses anyone who isn't on the board of a Fortune 500 company. Large corporations tend to be above the law, and use their financial clout to gain ever-increasing government benefits at the expense of the poor and unemployed.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, corrupt, pro-business government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Defence, Law & Order, and Commerce. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Non Sequitur City. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 55%. A powerhouse of a private sector is dominated by the Arms Manufacturing industry.
The government seizes all major gold finds, the government is cracking down on subversive groups, aeroplanes have been converted into housing units after all air travel was outlawed, and phone taps are frequently carried out by the police. Crime is moderate. Basketweaving Monkeys's national animal is the Gray Langur, which is also the nation's favorite main course, its national religion is Monkeyism, and its currency is the Cryptoid.
Most Recent Government Activity: 1 day 17 hours ago
- 8 hours ago: Basketweaving Monkeys was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Corrupt Governments (last census: Top 5%).
- 1 day 17 hours ago: Basketweaving Monkeys voted against the World Assembly Resolution "Responsible Armaments Trading".
- 1 day 17 hours ago: Basketweaving Monkeys voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Liberate Anarchy".
- 1 day 19 hours ago: Basketweaving Monkeys was endorsed by The Constitutional Monarchy of Corfvania.
- 6 days ago: Basketweaving Monkeys was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Largest Pizza Delivery Sector (last census: Top 5%).
- 18 days ago: Basketweaving Monkeys was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Largest Furniture Restoration Industry (last census: Top 10%).
- 18 days ago: Basketweaving Monkeys's influence in Democratium fell from "Eminence Grise" to "Contender".
- 19 days ago: Basketweaving Monkeys's influence in Democratium rose from "Enforcer" to "Eminence Grise".
- 23 days ago: Basketweaving Monkeys voted against the World Assembly Resolution "Condemn The Dourian Embassy".
- 23 days ago: Basketweaving Monkeys voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Repeal "Industrial Pollution Control "".