“Post hoc ergo propter hoc”
|Category: Corporate Police State|
Regional Influence: Minnow
The Democratic Republic of Basketweaving Monkeys is a massive, safe nation, ruled by Lee Gustafen with an iron fist, and notable for its keen interest in outer space. The hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 2.83 billion, 2.825 billion of whom are zombies, Basketweaving Monkeysians are ruled with an iron fist by the corrupt, dictatorship government, which oppresses anyone who isn't on the board of a Fortune 500 company. Large corporations tend to be above the law, and use their financial clout to gain ever-increasing government benefits at the expense of the poor and unemployed.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, corrupt, moralistic government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Defence, Law & Order, and Commerce. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Non Sequitur City. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 65%. A powerhouse of a private sector is dominated by the Arms Manufacturing industry.
Mandatory electronic currency is a boon for credit card companies and government surveillance, children as young as eight can be found working in factories, the mining industry is making inroads into environmentally sensitive areas, and an IT mega-corporation has a patent pending on the rectangle. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force. Basketweaving Monkeys's national animal is the Gray Langur, which is also the nation's favorite main course, its national religion is Monkeyism, and its currency is the Cryptoid.
Basketweaving Monkeys is currently considering its options.
Survival Rate: 0.06%
Most Recent Government Activity: 17 days ago
- 11 hours ago: Basketweaving Monkeys was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Largest Manufacturing Sector.
- 2 days 11 hours ago: Basketweaving Monkeys was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Largest Information Technology Sector.
- 4 days ago: Basketweaving Monkeys was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Largest Trout Fishing Sector.
- 5 days ago: Basketweaving Monkeys was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Largest Insurance Industry.
- 9 days ago: Basketweaving Monkeys was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Largest Populations.
- 12 days ago: Basketweaving Monkeys was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Largest Gambling Industry.
- 13 days ago: Basketweaving Monkeys fell out of the world Top 10% for Most World Assembly Endorsements.
- 17 days ago: Basketweaving Monkeys was refounded in Balder.
- 30 days ago: Basketweaving Monkeys ceased to exist.
- 35 days ago: Basketweaving Monkeys was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Authoritarian (last census: Top 5%).