The United Republic's of Basilon is a massive, genial nation, ruled by Sebastian Du Pont with an iron fist, and remarkable for its compulsory military service, state-planned economy, and daily referendums. The compassionate, cynical population of 2.198 billion Basilonians are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich. In their personal lives, however, citizens are relatively unoppressed; it remains to be seen whether this is because the government genuinely cares about its people, or if it hasn't gotten around to stamping out civil rights yet.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, socially-minded government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Education, Law & Order, and Environment. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Ponta. The average income tax rate is 98.6%.
The strong Basilonian economy, worth 211 trillion Dunts a year, is driven almost entirely by government activity, with private enterprise illegal. The industrial sector, which is extremely specialized, is mostly made up of the Book Publishing industry, with major contributions from Arms Manufacturing. State-owned companies are the norm. Average income is 96,309 Dunts, and distributed extremely evenly, with practically no difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
The Basilon Mental Asylum Party have recently won seats in parliament, the wearing and manufacture of fur apparel is banned, rumours have it that a secret police is responsible for the recent spate of missing persons, and politicians are often seen with soldiers pointing guns at their heads. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Basilon's national animal is the Nergal, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Basilon fell out of the world Top 10% for Most Pacifist.
- : Basilon fell out of the world Top 5% for Most Godforsaken.
- : Basilon was refounded in Balder.
- : Basilon ceased to exist.
- : Basilon was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Best Weather.
- : Basilon was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Highest Police Ratios.
- : Basilon fell out of the regional Top 10% for Nicest Citizens.
- : Basilon fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most Eco-Friendly Governments.
- : Basilon fell out of the regional Top 10% for Healthiest Citizens.
- : Basilon was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Scientifically Advanced.