The Free Democracy of Ballotonia is a gargantuan, cultured nation, ruled by Ballo with a fair hand, and notable for its barren, inhospitable landscape, daily referendums, and restrictive gun laws. The hard-nosed, hard-working, democratic, cheerful population of 28.647 billion Ballons hold their civil and political rights very dear, although the wealthy and those in business tend to be viewed with suspicion.
The tiny, liberal, outspoken government is effectively ruled by the Department of Education, with Defense and Spirituality not funded at all. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Tulipolis. Income tax is unheard of.
The frighteningly efficient Ballotonian economy, worth a remarkable 8,012 trillion Levs a year, is driven almost entirely by the private sector, which is fairly diversified and led by the Book Publishing industry, with major contributions from Information Technology, Gambling, and Uranium Mining. Average income is an amazing 279,685 Levs, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 4.5 times as much as the poorest.
Citizens are enjoying a recent large cut in taxes, UFO sightings are listed daily in the morning news, human tissue is grown in vats as a delicacy as well as for transplants, and the people elect the Supreme Court justices directly. Crime, especially youth-related, is all-pervasive, probably because of the absence of a police force. Ballotonia's national animal is the Penguin, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to widespread deforestation, and its national religion is Atheism.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Ballotonia lodged a message on the Nederland Regional Message Board.
- : Ballotonia changed its national animal to "Penguin" and its currency to "Lev".
- : Ballotonia changed its national animal to "hillary" and its currency to "hillary".
- : Ballotonia changed its national currency to "black".
- : Ballotonia changed its national animal to "black".
- : Following new legislation in Ballotonia, the people elect the Supreme Court justices directly.
- : Ballotonia was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Pacifist (last census: Top 5%).
- : Ballotonia was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Largest Publishing Industry (last census: #1).
- : Ballotonia was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Largest Agricultural Sector (last census: #1).
- : Ballotonia was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Smartest Citizens (last census: #1).