“Hail the Jewel of the Lotus”
|Category: Scandinavian Liberal Paradise|
Regional Influence: Negotiator
The Enlightened Republic of Bad Omen is a gargantuan, socially progressive nation, ruled by Coco Jambo with an even hand, and remarkable for its anti-smoking policies. The compassionate, intelligent population of 19.479 billion, 3 billion of whom are zombies, Bad Omenians enjoy extensive civil rights and enjoy a level of social equality free from the usual accompanying government corruption.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, socially-minded government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Education, Social Equality, and Public Transport. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Azweiz. The average income tax rate is 45%, but much higher for the wealthy. A powerhouse of a private sector is dominated by the Book Publishing industry.
Punitive tariffs protect local industry, prime real estate is devoted to wind farms and solar energy generators, high-income earners pay a 100% tax rate, and scenic mountain valleys are flooded with water as damming projects get underway. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is crippling. Bad Omen's national animal is the Snow Lion, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its currency is the escudo.
Bad Omen is currently researching a cure.
Most Recent Government Activity: 61 minutes ago
- 5 days ago: Bad Omen fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most Extensive Civil Rights.
- 7 days ago: Bad Omen was endorsed by The Republic of Jotinha.
- 15 days ago: Bad Omen endorsed The People's Republic of Communist Galinea.
- 15 days ago: Bad Omen was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Best Weather (last census: Top 5%).
- 18 days ago: Bad Omen's influence in Portugal fell from "Contender" to "Negotiator".
- 19 days ago: Bad Omen's influence in Portugal rose from "Negotiator" to "Contender".
- 21 days ago: Bad Omen was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Healthiest Citizens (last census: Top 5%).
- 27 days ago: Bad Omen was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most World Assembly Endorsements.
- 27 days ago: Bad Omen was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Most World Assembly Endorsements.
- 30 days ago: Bad Omen was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Most Godforsaken (last census: Top 10%).