The Enlightened Republic of Bad Omen is a gargantuan, efficient nation, ruled by Coco Jambo with a fair hand, and notable for its public floggings, anti-smoking policies, and absence of drug laws. The compassionate, democratic, humorless population of 20.565 billion Bad Omenians are free to do what they want with their own bodies, and vote for whomever they like in elections; if they go into business, however, they are regulated to within an inch of their lives.
The large, liberal, socially-minded government prioritizes Education, with Social Policy also on the agenda, while Spirituality and Welfare aren't funded at all. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Azweiz. The average income tax rate is 71.6%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The frighteningly efficient Bad Omenian economy, worth a remarkable 2,201 trillion escudoes a year, is highly specialized and mostly made up of the Book Publishing industry, with significant contributions from Beef-Based Agriculture and Tourism. Black market activity is frequent. State-owned companies are common. Average income is an impressive 107,056 escudoes, and distributed extremely evenly, with practically no difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Punitive tariffs protect local industry, prime real estate is devoted to wind farms and solar energy generators, high-income earners pay a 100% tax rate, and scenic mountain valleys are flooded with water as damming projects get underway. Crime, especially youth-related, is all-pervasive, probably because of the absence of a police force. Bad Omen's national animal is the Snow Lion, which is also the nation's favorite main course.
Most Recent Government Activity: 2 days 14 hours ago
- 3 days 14 hours ago: Bad Omen's influence in Portugal fell from "Contender" to "Negotiator".
- 8 days ago: Bad Omen was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Healthiest Citizens (last census: Top 10%).
- 13 days ago: Bad Omen was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Most Influential (last census: Top 10%).
- 14 days ago: Bad Omen was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Longest Average Lifespans (last census: Top 10%).
- 17 days ago: Bad Omen was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Highest Drug Use (last census: Top 10%).
- 22 days ago: Bad Omen lodged a message on the Portugal Regional Message Board.
- 28 days ago: Bad Omen fell out of the world Top 5% for Most Popular Tourist Destinations.
- 28 days ago: Bad Omen fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most Popular Tourist Destinations.
- 31 days ago: Bad Omen was endorsed by The Empire of Dragulan.
- 35 days ago: Bad Omen endorsed Roquelandia.