“Pro Deo et Patria”
|Category: New York Times Democracy|
Regional Influence: Contender
The Holy Commonwealth of Atrus is a colossal, socially progressive nation, ruled by Patrician Nathaniel Mowbry with a fair hand, and notable for its national health service. The hard-nosed, hard-working, intelligent population of 5.622 billion Atrusians enjoy a sensible mix of personal and economic freedoms, while the political process is open and the people's right to vote held sacrosanct.
The medium-sized government is mainly concerned with Religion & Spirituality, although Education and Law & Order are on the agenda. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Gilead. Income tax is unheard of. A powerhouse of a private sector is led by the Book Publishing, Pizza Delivery, and Information Technology industries.
The explosive fireball of the disintegrating space shuttle has devastated Cape Atrus, only the rich can afford the latest medical innovations, the government is funneling billions into Cape Atrus following the shuttle crash, and administrative districts are increasingly defined by their taste in housing architecture. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is a problem. Atrus's national animal is the Phoenix, which is also the nation's favorite main course, its national religion is Roman Catholicism, and its currency is the Pound.
Most Recent Government Activity: 5 hours ago
- 19 hours ago: Atrus endorsed The Theocracy of Christianorum Civitate.
- 19 hours ago: Atrus endorsed The Theocracy of Vaticanan.
- 19 hours ago: Atrus lodged a message on the Catholic Regional Message Board.
- 3 days 8 hours ago: Atrus lodged a message on the Catholic Regional Message Board.
- 16 days ago: Atrus was endorsed by The People's Republic of Republic of Mako.
- 17 days ago: Atrus fell out of the world Top 10% for Largest Agricultural Sector.
- 17 days ago: Atrus's influence in Catholic rose from "Negotiator" to "Contender".
- 19 days ago: Atrus was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Fattest Citizens (last census: Top 10%).
- 22 days ago: Atrus was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Lowest Overall Tax Burden (last census: Top 10%).
- 36 days ago: Atrus was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Fattest Citizens.