“Pro Deo et Patria”
|Category: New York Times Democracy|
Regional Influence: Negotiator
The Holy Commonwealth of Atrus is a colossal, economically powerful nation, ruled by Patrician Nathaniel Mowbry with a fair hand, and notable for its happy-go-lucky citizens. The hard-nosed, hard-working, intelligent population of 5.199 billion Atrusians enjoy a sensible mix of personal and economic freedoms, while the political process is open and the people's right to vote held sacrosanct.
The small government is mainly concerned with Religion & Spirituality, although Education and Law & Order are secondary priorities. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Gilead. Income tax is unheard of. A powerhouse of a private sector is led by the Book Publishing, Pizza Delivery, and Information Technology industries.
Houses and businesses are bulldozed to make way for ever-expanding cemeteries, hundreds of thousands of convicts work as slaves in Atrus's many privately-owned prisons, citizens are regularly found digging for treasure in their gardens, and the mining industry is making inroads into environmentally sensitive areas. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is a problem. Atrus's national animal is the Phoenix, which is also the nation's favorite main course, its national religion is Roman Catholicism, and its currency is the Pound.
Most Recent Government Activity: 23 hours ago
- 4 days ago: Atrus fell out of the world Top 10% for Shortest Average Lifespan.
- 6 days ago: Atrus fell out of the world Top 10% for Largest Cheese Export Sector.
- 20 days ago: Atrus was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Politically Free (last census: Top 5%).
- 22 days ago: Atrus was ranked in the Top 1% of the world for Most Influential (last census: Top 5%).
- 33 days ago: Atrus endorsed Sanctoram.
- 39 days ago: Atrus was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Lowest Overall Tax Burden (last census: Top 5%).
- 43 days ago: Atrus was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Most Politically Free (last census: Top 10%).
- 54 days ago: Atrus was endorsed by Sanctoram.
- 55 days ago: Atrus fell out of the regional Top 10% for Happiest Citizens.
- 62 days ago: Atrus fell out of the world Top 10% for Largest Basket Weaving Sector.