The Catholic Commonwealth of Atrus is a colossal, efficient nation, ruled by Patrician Nathaniel Mowbry with a fair hand, and renowned for its museums and concert halls, sprawling nuclear power plants, and keen interest in outer space. The hard-nosed, hard-working, democratic, cheerful, devout population of 8.615 billion Atrusians hold their civil and political rights very dear, although the wealthy and those in business tend to be viewed with suspicion.
The tiny, outspoken government is primarily concerned with Spirituality, with Education also on the agenda, while Social Policy and Administration aren't funded at all. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Gilead. The average income tax rate is 3.0%.
The very strong Atrusian economy, worth 721 trillion Pounds a year, is fairly diversified and led by the Book Publishing industry, with significant contributions from Tourism, Beef-Based Agriculture, and Cheese Exports. Average income is 83,740 Pounds, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 3.7 times as much as the poorest.
Tourism spikes whenever a major ship or plane is lost at sea, EpiPen sales have skyrocketed, nude art is becoming wildly popular, and chalkboards are replaced with billboards in the classroom. Crime, especially youth-related, is a problem, with the police force struggling against a lack of funding and a high mortality rate. Atrus's national animal is the Phoenix, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its national religion is Roman Catholicism.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Atrus was endorsed by The Catholic Republic of The Papal Federation.
- : Atrus was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Most Politically Free (last census: Top 10%).
- : Atrus was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Popular Tourist Destinations.
- : Atrus lodged a message on the Catholic Regional Message Board.
- : Atrus was reclassified from "New York Times Democracy" to "Civil Rights Lovefest".
- : Atrus was endorsed by The Allied States of Darzsa.
- : Atrus fell out of the regional Top 5% for Most Extensive Civil Rights.
- : Atrus was endorsed by The Holy Empire of Lost Tales.
- : Atrus endorsed The Portuguese-Austrian Republic of Dragao da Luz.
- : Atrus was endorsed by The Portuguese-Austrian Republic of Dragao da Luz.