“Pro Deo et Patria”
|Category: Corporate Bordello|
Regional Influence: Negotiator
The Holy Commonwealth of Atrus is a massive, economically powerful nation, ruled by Patrician Nathaniel Mowbry with a fair hand, and notable for its sprawling nuclear power plants. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, intelligent population of 4.378 billion are effectively ruled by a group of massive corporations, who run for political office and provide their well-off citizens with world-class goods and services. Their poorer citizens, however, are mostly starving to death while being urged to go out and get real jobs. The populace has reasonably extensive civil rights, although these are mostly aimed at allowing them to buy whatever they like.
There is no government in the normal sense of the word; however, a small group of community-minded, pro-business individuals is mainly concerned with Religion & Spirituality, although Education and Law & Order are secondary priorities. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Gilead. Income tax is unheard of. A powerhouse of a private sector is led by the Book Publishing, Pizza Delivery, and Information Technology industries.
Houses and businesses are bulldozed to make way for ever-expanding cemeteries, hundreds of thousands of convicts work as slaves in Atrus's many privately-owned prisons, citizens are regularly found digging for treasure in their gardens, and the mining industry is making inroads into environmentally sensitive areas. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is a serious problem. Atrus's national animal is the Phoenix, which is also the nation's favorite main course, its national religion is Roman Catholicism, and its currency is the Pound.
Most Recent Government Activity: 2 days 4 hours ago
- 2 days 7 hours ago: Atrus endorsed The Principality of Impossibilia.
- 2 days 7 hours ago: Atrus withdrew its endorsement from The Principality of Impossibilia.
- 2 days 7 hours ago: Atrus endorsed The Empire of Lost Tales.
- 5 days ago: Atrus was endorsed by The Empire of Lost Tales.
- 5 days ago: Atrus lodged a message on the Catholic Regional Message Board.
- 7 days ago: Atrus was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Happiest Citizens.
- 8 days ago: Atrus was endorsed by The Theocracy of Fransmany.
- 15 days ago: Atrus was reclassified from "New York Times Democracy" to "Corporate Bordello".
- 23 days ago: Following new legislation in Atrus, the mining industry is making inroads into environmentally sensitive areas.
- 23 days ago: Following new legislation in Atrus, citizens are regularly found digging for treasure in their gardens.