The Republic of Athens 1896-2004 is a gargantuan, safe nation, renowned for its frequent executions, anti-smoking policies, and keen interest in outer space. The hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 16.822 billion Athens 1896-2004ians are ruled by a mostly-benevolent dictator, who grants the populace the freedom to live their own lives but watches carefully for anyone to slip up.
The relatively small government prioritizes Law & Order, although Education, Healthcare, and Welfare are also considered important, while Spirituality and Defense receive no funds. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 12.3%.
The very strong Athens 1896-2004ian economy, worth 930 trillion kotino a year, is broadly diversified and led by the Book Publishing industry, with major contributions from Trout Farming, Retail, and Gambling. Average income is 55,331 kotino, but there is a significant disparity between incomes, with the richest 10% of citizens earning 160,244 per year while the poor average 15,140, a ratio of 10.6 to 1.
Rice shortages have risen after paddy fields were drained to combat malaria, government officials frequently cut taxes as a distraction from antics with their secretaries, parents live in fear of governmental 'child protection' squads, and long arduous trials are held for the most trivial of offences. Crime is almost non-existent, thanks to a well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Athens 1896-2004's national animal is the turtle.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Athens 1896-2004's influence in Athens rose from "Apprentice" to "Vassal".
- : Athens 1896-2004 was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Black Market.
- : Athens 1896-2004 was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Largest Populations and the Top 10% for Most Politically Apathetic Citizens, Largest Publishing Industry, Highest Economic Output, and Largest Retail Industry.
- : Athens 1896-2004's influence in Athens fell from "Vassal" to "Apprentice".
- : Athens 1896-2004's influence in Athens rose from "Nipper" to "Vassal".
- : Athens 1896-2004 relocated from Balder to Athens.
- : Athens 1896-2004 was refounded in Balder.
- : Athens 1896-2004 ceased to exist.
- : Athens 1896-2004 was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Pacifist.
- : Athens 1896-2004 fell out of the regional Top 10% for Nudest.