The Metropolitan Borough of Astholm is a gargantuan, socially progressive nation, notable for its barren, inhospitable landscape, anti-smoking policies, and smutty television. The hard-nosed, hard-working population of 13.283 billion Canadians enjoy extensive civil freedoms, particularly in social issues, while business tends to be more regulated.
The relatively small government juggles the competing demands of Welfare, Education, and Healthcare. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of London. The average income tax rate is 9.3%.
The powerhouse Astholmian economy, worth 912 trillion pounds a year, is broadly diversified and led by the Automobile Manufacturing industry, with major contributions from Book Publishing, Information Technology, and Retail. Average income is 68,688 pounds, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 4.8 times as much as the poorest.
Scientists regularly clone human beings for research purposes, traveller camps regularly block five-lane superhighways, Astholm's children are widely acknowledged as the most foul-mouthed in the region, and punitive tariffs protect local industry. Crime, especially youth-related, is moderate, with the police force struggling against a lack of funding and a high mortality rate. Astholm's national animal is the owl, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to toxic air pollution.
Most Recent Government Activity: 19 days ago
- 25 days ago: Astholm published "Astholm (Official Factbook)" (Factbook: History).
- 25 days ago: Astholm published "Subaru Regashi" (Account: Other).
- 32 days ago: Astholm published "Balna launches in East Motungahere" (Account: Trade).
- 33 days ago: Astholm published "New Car Review: Celsan Vextra " (Account: Other).
- 33 days ago: Astholm published "New Car Review: Celsan Vextra " (Factbook: Economy).
- 33 days ago: Astholm was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Largest Automobile Manufacturing Sector (last census: Top 10%).
- 50 days ago: Astholm was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Politically Apathetic Citizens.
- 52 days ago: Astholm was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Largest Populations.
- 79 days ago: Astholm was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Largest Automobile Manufacturing Sector.
- 94 days ago: Astholm changed its national demonym plural to "Canadians".