The Queen's State of Artell is a gargantuan, safe nation, ruled by the Governor with an even hand, and renowned for its state-planned economy, punitive income tax rates, and devotion to social welfare. The quiet, industrious population of 11.095 billion Artellians enjoy extensive civil rights and enjoy a level of social equality free from the usual accompanying government corruption.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, liberal, socially-minded government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Welfare, Education, and Healthcare. The average income tax rate is 87.5%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The sizeable but stagnant Artellian economy, worth 50.0 trillion betales a year, is driven almost entirely by government activity, with private enterprise illegal. The industrial sector is solely comprised of the Book Publishing industry. Average income is 4,503 betales, and distributed extremely evenly, with practically no difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
High-income earners pay a 100% tax rate, none has been named as Artell's national religion, the latest Harry Potter book is a bestseller, and the Governor has just been declared ruler of Artell in an international press conference. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to a very well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Artell's national animal is the deer, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its national religion is none.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Artell was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Lowest Crime Rates.
- : Artell was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Largest Welfare Programs.
- : Artell was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Most Eco-Friendly Governments.
- : Artell was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Smartest Citizens (last census: Top 10%).
- : Artell was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Safest.
- : Artell was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Highest Police Ratios.
- : Artell's influence in Ancient Lands rose from "Sprat" to "Shoeshiner".
- : Artell was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Largest Public Sector.
- : Artell was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Most Dedicated Public Healthcare.
- : Artell was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Healthiest Citizens.