The Great Grey Empire of Area VIII is a colossal, orderly nation, ruled by Walter Wolfman III with an iron fist, and notable for its public floggings, sprawling nuclear power plants, and keen interest in outer space. The hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical, humorless population of 9.103 billion Area VIIIians are ruled with an iron fist by the corrupt, dictatorship government, which oppresses anyone who isn't on the board of a Fortune 500 company. Large corporations tend to be above the law, and use their financial clout to gain ever-increasing government benefits at the expense of the poor and unemployed.
The medium-sized, corrupt, pro-business, well-organized government juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Defense, and Industry. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Wolfenburg. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 37.1%.
The frighteningly efficient Area VIIIian economy, worth a remarkable 1,163 trillion Zeras a year, is broadly diversified and led by the Arms Manufacturing industry, with significant contributions from Information Technology, Retail, and Woodchip Exports. Black market activity is frequent. Average income is an impressive 127,830 Zeras, but there is an enormous disparity between incomes, with the richest 10% of citizens earning 791,839 per year while the poor average 8,903, a ratio of 88.9 to 1.
The lowest age at which one can marry has been recently lowered to 12, religious organizations are being forced to leave the country or pay income taxes like everybody else, eight year-olds with lemonade stands have been known to be locked up on charges of embezzlement, and torture is commonly used to extract information from suspected criminals. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to a very well-funded police force. Area VIII's national animal is the Raven, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to toxic air pollution.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Area VIII was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Populations.
- : Area VIII fell out of the world Top 10% for Largest Information Technology Sector.
- : Area VIII fell out of the world Top 10% for Largest Agricultural Sector.
- : Area VIII's influence in Japerica rose from "Negotiator" to "Contender".
- : Area VIII was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Basket Weaving Sector (last census: Top 5%).
- : Area VIII fell out of the world Top 5% for Largest Trout Fishing Sector.
- : Area VIII was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Pro-Market.
- : Area VIII fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most Armed.
- : Area VIII fell out of the world Top 10% for Fattest Citizens.
- : Area VIII was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Soda Pop Sector (last census: Top 5%).