The Great Grey Empire of Area VIII is a gargantuan, efficient nation, ruled by Walter Wolfman III with an iron fist, and remarkable for its multi-spousal wedding ceremonies, keen interest in outer space, and irreverence towards religion. The hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical, humorless population of 10.19 billion Area VIIIians are ruled with an iron fist by the corrupt, dictatorship government, which oppresses anyone who isn't on the board of a Fortune 500 company. Large corporations tend to be above the law, and use their financial clout to gain ever-increasing government benefits at the expense of the poor and unemployed.
The medium-sized, corrupt, pro-business, well-organized government juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Defense, and Industry. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Wolfenburg. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 36.1%.
The frighteningly efficient Area VIIIian economy, worth a remarkable 1,308 trillion Zeras a year, is broadly diversified and led by the Arms Manufacturing industry, with significant contributions from Information Technology, Retail, and Woodchip Exports. Black market activity is frequent. Average income is an impressive 128,398 Zeras, but there is an enormous disparity between incomes, with the richest 10% of citizens earning 791,689 per year while the poor average 9,049, a ratio of 87.5 to 1.
The lowest age at which one can marry has been recently lowered to 12, religious organizations are being forced to leave the country or pay income taxes like everybody else, eight year-olds with lemonade stands have been known to be locked up on charges of embezzlement, and torture is commonly used to extract information from suspected criminals. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force. Area VIII's national animal is the Raven, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to toxic air pollution.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Area VIII was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Largest Arms Manufacturing Sector and Most Corrupt Governments.
- : Area VIII was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Avoided.
- : Area VIII was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Stationary.
- : Area VIII was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Largest Manufacturing Sector, Largest Black Market, Most Pro-Market, Most Advanced Law Enforcement, and Largest Retail Industry.
- : Area VIII was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Manufacturing Sector (last census: Top 5%).
- : Area VIII was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Highest Police Ratios (last census: Top 10%).
- : Area VIII was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Populations.
- : Area VIII fell out of the world Top 10% for Largest Information Technology Sector.
- : Area VIII fell out of the world Top 10% for Largest Agricultural Sector.
- : Area VIII's influence in Japerica rose from "Negotiator" to "Contender".