The Imperium of Arbites is a colossal, efficient nation, ruled by the Holy Curia with an iron fist, and remarkable for its public floggings, prohibition of alcohol, and punitive income tax rates. The hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical, humorless, devout population of 9.751 billion Arbitesians are ruled with an iron fist by the corrupt, dictatorship government, which oppresses anyone who isn't on the board of a Fortune 500 company. Large corporations tend to be above the law, and use their financial clout to gain ever-increasing government benefits at the expense of the poor and unemployed.
The medium-sized, corrupt, moralistic, pro-business, well-organized government juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Defense, and Spirituality. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Magus Civitus. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 67.6%.
The frighteningly efficient Arbitesian economy, worth a remarkable 2,561 trillion Soliduses a year, is broadly diversified and led by the Arms Manufacturing industry, with major contributions from Uranium Mining, Automobile Manufacturing, and Woodchip Exports. Black market activity is frequent. Average income is an amazing 262,667 Soliduses, but there is a large disparity between incomes, with the richest 10% of citizens earning 1,220,309 per year while the poor average 33,976, a ratio of 35.9 to 1.
Torture is commonly used to extract information from suspected criminals, all major public areas are watched by police surveillance cameras, there are no minimum wage laws, and women who display their ankles are shunned by society. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to a very well-funded police force. Arbites's national animal is the Wolf, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to widespread deforestation, and its national religion is Magism.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Arbites fell out of the world Top 10% for Largest Information Technology Sector.
- : Arbites was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Highest Police Ratios (last census: Top 10%).
- : Arbites was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Largest Furniture Restoration Industry.
- : Arbites was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Largest Agricultural Sector (last census: Top 5%).
- : Arbites was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Shortest Average Lifespan (last census: Top 5%).
- : Arbites fell out of the regional Top 10% for Largest Retail Industry.
- : Arbites fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most Avoided.
- : Arbites fell out of the regional Top 10% for Largest Public Sector.
- : Arbites was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Largest Furniture Restoration Industry (last census: Top 1%).
- : Arbites fell out of the regional Top 10% for Largest Furniture Restoration Industry.