The Imperium of Arbites is a colossal, safe nation, ruled by the Holy Curia with an iron fist, and remarkable for its deadly medical pandemics, frequent executions, and punitive income tax rates. The hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical, humorless, devout population of 9.965 billion Arbiters are ruled with an iron fist by the corrupt, dictatorship government, which oppresses anyone who isn't on the board of a Fortune 500 company. Large corporations tend to be above the law, and use their financial clout to gain ever-increasing government benefits at the expense of the poor and unemployed.
The medium-sized, corrupt, moralistic, pro-business, well-organized government juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Defense, and Spirituality. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Magus Civitus. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 67.1%.
The frighteningly efficient Arbitesian economy, worth a remarkable 2,620 trillion Soliduses a year, is broadly diversified and led by the Arms Manufacturing industry, with major contributions from Uranium Mining, Automobile Manufacturing, and Woodchip Exports. Black market activity is frequent. Average income is an amazing 262,962 Soliduses, but there is a large disparity between incomes, with the richest 10% of citizens earning 1,247,673 per year while the poor average 32,706, a ratio of 38.1 to 1.
Most academic research has ground to a halt, prominent cultural symbols are featured on the backs of cereal boxes, warfare increasingly resembles a video game, and politicians take citizens for idiots. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to a very well-funded police force. Arbites's national animal is the Wolf, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to widespread deforestation, and its national religion is Magism.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Following new legislation in Arbites, politicians take citizens for idiots.
- : Following new legislation in Arbites, warfare increasingly resembles a video game.
- : Following new legislation in Arbites, prominent cultural symbols are featured on the backs of cereal boxes.
- : Arbites changed its national demonym to "Arbiter".
- : Following new legislation in Arbites, most academic research has ground to a halt.
- : Following new legislation in Arbites, cheap and tasteless vegetables flood the markets.
- : Arbites was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Greatest Rich-Poor Divides (last census: Top 10%).
- : Arbites fell out of the regional Top 10% for Greatest Rich-Poor Divides.
- : Arbites's influence in The Cornellian Empire rose from "Auxiliary" to "Negotiator".
- : Arbites was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Largest Retail Industry.