The Sultanate of Ar-Rayyan is a gargantuan, cultured nation, ruled by Sultan Muhammad Al-Azhar with an even hand, and notable for its keen interest in outer space, hatred of cheese, and punitive income tax rates. The compassionate, cheerful, devout population of 10.155 billion Ar-Rayyanians have some civil rights, but not too many, enjoy the freedom to spend their money however they like, to a point, and take part in free and open elections, although not too often.
The government — a sprawling, bureaucracy-choked, corrupt morass — juggles the competing demands of Education, Defense, and Welfare. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Al-Midan. The average income tax rate is 97.1%.
The sizeable but stagnant Ar-Rayyanian economy, worth 92.0 trillion Riyals a year, is extremely specialized and solely comprised of the Tourism industry. Average income is 9,056 Riyals, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 2.6 times as much as the poorest.
Moonshine and organized crime are on the rise ever since alcohol was banned, the automotive industry soaks up huge government handouts, corporations donate huge sums of money to favored politicians, and tabloids coo over Sultan Muhammad Al-Azhar's expected child. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to a very well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Ar-Rayyan's national animal is the Lion, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its national religion is Islam.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Ar-Rayyan fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most Pacifist.
- : Ar-Rayyan was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Happiest Citizens (last census: Top 10%).
- : Ar-Rayyan was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Largest Populations.
- : Ar-Rayyan's influence in United Empire of Islam rose from "Handshaker" to "Duckspeaker".
- : Ar-Rayyan was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Largest Welfare Programs (last census: Top 1%).
- : Ar-Rayyan was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Largest Welfare Programs (last census: Top 10%).
- : Ar-Rayyan fell out of the world Top 5% for Most Subsidized Industry.
- : Ar-Rayyan fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most Subsidized Industry.
- : Ar-Rayyan was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Pacifist.
- : Ar-Rayyan fell out of the world Top 5% for Fastest-Growing Economies.