The Royal Kingdom of Alkoul is a gargantuan, cultured nation, ruled by King Andrew with an even hand, and notable for its unlimited-speed roads, prohibition of alcohol, and punitive income tax rates. The compassionate population of 10.413 billion Alkoulians are fiercely patriotic and enjoy great social equality; they tend to view other, more capitalist countries as somewhat immoral and corrupt.
The enormous, socially-minded government juggles the competing demands of Education, Industry, and Environment. The average income tax rate is 91.8%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The powerhouse Alkoulian economy, worth 927 trillion Crowns a year, is highly specialized and mostly made up of the Book Publishing industry, with significant contributions from Tourism and Soda Sales. State-owned companies are reasonably common. Average income is 89,049 Crowns, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Third party candidates are now gaining some representation in Parliament, sociologists can charge whatever fee they like as the nation tries to find itself, houses and businesses are bulldozed to make way for ever-expanding cemeteries, and the national guard is mobilized whenever a mother gets separated from her child at the mall. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to a well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Alkoul's national animal is the Hamster, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests.
Most Recent Government Activity: 6 days ago
- 19 days ago: Alkoul fell out of the regional Top 10% for Largest Welfare Programs.
- 21 days ago: Alkoul was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Dedicated Public Healthcare.
- 25 days ago: Alkoul was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Happiest Citizens (last census: Top 10%).
- 25 days ago: Alkoul was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Happiest Citizens.
- 54 days ago: Alkoul was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Public Sector.
- 57 days ago: Alkoul was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Best Weather (last census: Top 10%).
- 58 days ago: Alkoul was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Largest Welfare Programs.
- 60 days ago: Alkoul fell out of the world Top 10% for Most Popular Tourist Destinations.
- 70 days ago: Alkoul was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Developed.
- 71 days ago: Alkoul was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Highest Average Tax Rates.