The Royal Kingdom of Alkoul is a gargantuan, efficient nation, ruled by King Andrew with an even hand, and notable for its prohibition of alcohol, punitive income tax rates, and devotion to social welfare. The compassionate, devout population of 12.947 billion Alkoulians are fiercely patriotic and enjoy great social equality; they tend to view other, more capitalist countries as somewhat immoral and corrupt.
The enormous, socially-minded government juggles the competing demands of Education, Industry, and Environment. The average income tax rate is 91.3%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The powerhouse Alkoulian economy, worth a remarkable 1,156 trillion Crowns a year, is highly specialized and mostly made up of the Book Publishing industry, with major contributions from Tourism. State-owned companies are reasonably common. Average income is 89,349 Crowns, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Third party candidates are now gaining some representation in Parliament, sociologists can charge whatever fee they like as the nation tries to find itself, houses and businesses are bulldozed to make way for ever-expanding cemeteries, and the national guard is mobilized whenever a mother gets separated from her child at the mall. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to a well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Alkoul's national animal is the Hamster, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Alkoul was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Governments.
- : Alkoul was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Politically Apathetic Citizens.
- : Alkoul was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Largest Publishing Industry.
- : Alkoul was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Beautiful Environments and Largest Populations and the Top 10% for Most Pacifist and Highest Poor Incomes.
- : Alkoul was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Best Weather.
- : Alkoul's influence in Esquarium rose from "Minnow" to "Sprat".
- : Alkoul lodged a message on the Esquarium Regional Message Board.
- : Alkoul published "Qick Facts" (Factbook: Miscellaneous).
- : Alkoul published "Queen Dowager Aliana" (Factbook: Politics).
- : Alkoul's influence in Esquarium rose from "Nipper" to "Minnow".