The Dark Designs of Alien Space Bats is a gargantuan, orderly nation, notable for its state-planned economy, absence of drug laws, and complete absence of social welfare. The hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 12.368 billion Alien Space Bats enjoy great individual freedoms in everything except elections, which, where they exist at all, are populist shams for a dictatorship government that has no intention of ever giving up power.
The medium-sized, liberal, pro-business, well-organized government prioritizes Law & Order, although Defense, Spirituality, and Education are also considered important, while Welfare receives no funds. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 26.2%.
The very strong batty economy, worth 747 trillion Jonbar Hinges a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. However, for those in the know, there is a slick, highly efficient, broadly diversified black market in Gambling, Automobile Manufacturing, Trout Farming, and Furniture Restoration. The private sector mostly consists of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, but the government is looking at stamping this out. Average income is 60,424 Jonbar Hinges, but there is a large disparity between incomes, with the richest 10% of citizens earning 259,128 per year while the poor average 9,018, a ratio of 28.7 to 1.
Bicyclists are banned from major roads, the police force is on a recruitment drive, Alien Space Bats's children are widely acknowledged as the most foul-mouthed in the region, and all recreational drugs are legal. Crime is moderate. Alien Space Bats's national animal is the Deus Ex Machina, which is also the nation's favorite main course.
Most Recent Government Activity: 104 minutes ago
- 10 days ago: Alien Space Bats fell out of the world Top 10% for Most Pro-Market.
- 100 days ago: Alien Space Bats's influence in Somewhere Out There fell from "Hegemony" to "Superpower".
- 102 days ago: Alien Space Bats was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Gambling Industry.
- 102 days ago: Alien Space Bats's influence in Somewhere Out There rose from "Superpower" to "Hegemony".
- 103 days ago: Alien Space Bats was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Highest Drug Use (last census: Top 10%).
- 130 days ago: Alien Space Bats was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Highest Drug Use (last census: Top 5%).
- 304 days ago: Alien Space Bats changed its national demonym adjective to "batty".
- 304 days ago: Alien Space Bats changed its national demonym to "Alien Space Bat".
- 304 days ago: Alien Space Bats changed its national demonym to "Alien Space Bats".
- 332 days ago: Alien Space Bats was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Influential (last census: Top 10%).