The Dark Designs of Alien Space Bats is a gargantuan, efficient nation, renowned for its compulsory military service, state-planned economy, and complete absence of social welfare. The hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 12.744 billion Alien Space Bats enjoy great individual freedoms in everything except elections, which, where they exist at all, are populist shams for a dictatorship government that has no intention of ever giving up power.
The medium-sized, liberal, pro-business, well-organized government prioritizes Law & Order, although Defense, Spirituality, and Education are also considered important, while Welfare is ignored. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 26.2%.
The very strong batty economy, worth 770 trillion Jonbar Hinges a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. However, for those in the know, there is a slick, highly efficient, broadly diversified black market in Gambling, Automobile Manufacturing, Trout Farming, and Furniture Restoration. The private sector mostly consists of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, but the government is looking at stamping this out. Average income is 60,424 Jonbar Hinges, but there is a large disparity between incomes, with the richest 10% of citizens earning 259,128 per year while the poor average 9,018, a ratio of 28.7 to 1.
Bicyclists are banned from major roads, the police force is on a recruitment drive, Alien Space Bats's children are widely acknowledged as the most foul-mouthed in the region, and all recreational drugs are legal. Crime is moderate. Alien Space Bats's national animal is the Deus Ex Machina, which is also the nation's favorite main course.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Alien Space Bats fell out of the world Top 10% for Most Pro-Market.
- : Alien Space Bats's influence in Somewhere Out There fell from "Hegemony" to "Superpower".
- : Alien Space Bats was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Gambling Industry.
- : Alien Space Bats's influence in Somewhere Out There rose from "Superpower" to "Hegemony".
- : Alien Space Bats was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Highest Drug Use (last census: Top 10%).
- : Alien Space Bats was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Highest Drug Use (last census: Top 5%).
- : Alien Space Bats changed its national demonym adjective to "batty".
- : Alien Space Bats changed its national demonym to "Alien Space Bat".
- : Alien Space Bats changed its national demonym to "Alien Space Bats".
- : Alien Space Bats was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Influential (last census: Top 10%).