The Commonwealth of Alcatrazin is a colossal, efficient nation, ruled by Prime Minister Dick Johnson with an even hand, and notable for its multi-spousal wedding ceremonies, smutty television, and complete absence of social welfare. The hard-working, devout population of 8.487 billion Alcatrazians have some civil rights, but not too many, enjoy the freedom to spend their money however they like, to a point, and take part in free and open elections, although not too often.
The medium-sized, corrupt government juggles the competing demands of Defense, Education, and Industry. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Canberra. The average income tax rate is 69.2%.
The frighteningly efficient Alcatrazinian economy, worth a remarkable 1,653 trillion Alcatrats a year, is broadly diversified and led by the Tourism industry, with significant contributions from Arms Manufacturing, Information Technology, and Book Publishing. Average income is an impressive 194,874 Alcatrats, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 4.7 times as much as the poorest.
Veteran cops reminisce over their heavy armor days, movie references are legally admissible in court, droves of former desperados are applying to join the border police, and bris parties are all the rage. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to a well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Alcatrazin's national animal is the Python, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its national religion is The First Christian Church of Alcatrazin.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Alcatrazin's influence in Alliance Of Armed Nations rose from "Eminence Grise" to "Powerbroker".
- : Alcatrazin fell out of the regional Top 5% for Largest Manufacturing Sector.
- : Alcatrazin's influence in Alliance Of Armed Nations rose from "Negotiator" to "Eminence Grise".
- : Alcatrazin fell out of the regional Top 10% for Fastest-Growing Economies.
- : Alcatrazin was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Popular Tourist Destinations (last census: Top 5%).
- : Alcatrazin was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Largest Public Sector (last census: Top 10%).
- : Alcatrazin fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most Subsidized Industry.
- : Alcatrazin's influence in Alliance Of Armed Nations rose from "Auxiliary" to "Negotiator".
- : Alcatrazin was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Basket Weaving Sector.
- : Alcatrazin was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Largest Information Technology Sector.