The Free Land of Aels is a colossal, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by Chief Minister Paul Duncan-Jones with a fair hand, and notable for its daily referendums, punitive income tax rates, and restrictive gun laws. The democratic population of 8.37 billion Aelsh love a good election, and the government gives them plenty of them. Universities tend to be full of students debating the merits of various civil and political rights, while businesses are tightly regulated and the wealthy viewed with suspicion.
The government — a sprawling, bureaucracy-choked morass — juggles the competing demands of Education, Healthcare, and Defense. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Drayfill. The average income tax rate is 77.2%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The Aelsh economy, worth 358 trillion Punts a year, is quite specialized and dominated by the Basket Weaving industry, with significant contributions from Retail, Furniture Restoration, and Automobile Manufacturing. State-owned companies are reasonably common. Average income is 42,810 Punts, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Only adults may purchase violent video games, guns are banned, people reciting Shakespeare have become a common sight, and the government has started a campaign to crack down on road rage and encourage alternate means of commuting. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to a well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Aels's national animal is the swan, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its national religion is Church of Aels.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Aels's influence in Rushmore rose from "Shoeshiner" to "Page".
- : Aels was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most World Assembly Endorsements.
- : Aels lodged a message on the Rushmore Regional Message Board.
- : Aels voted for The United Federation of Eura in Round 2 of the election.
- : Aels voted for The United Federation of Eura in Round 1 of the election.
- : Aels was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Populations.
- : Aels was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Highest Foreign Aid Spending.
- : Aels's influence in Rushmore rose from "Zero" to "Shoeshiner".
- : Aels altered its national flag.
- : Aels relocated from Lazarus to Rushmore.