The Queen's State of Aarley is a gargantuan, socially progressive nation, renowned for its state-planned economy, complete lack of prisons, and devotion to social welfare. The cynical population of 12.508 billion Aarleyians are ruled with an iron fist by the socialist government, which grants its people the freedom to do whatever they like so long as it doesn't involve getting richer than anybody else or challenging the government.
The government — a sprawling, bureaucracy-choked, socially-minded, well-organized morass — juggles the competing demands of Welfare, Education, and Defense. The average income tax rate is 77.0%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The large but stagnant Aarleyian economy, worth 102 trillion betales a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. However, for those in the know, there is a slick, highly efficient, quite specialized black market in Tourism, Door-to-door Insurance Sales, Trout Farming, and Book Publishing. The private sector mostly consists of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, but the government is looking at stamping this out. Average income is 8,189 betales, and distributed extremely evenly, with practically no difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
None has been named as Aarley's national religion, major cities shut down as their local sports team takes to the field every day, Aarley is notorious for its citizens' infidelity, and a large-scale revitalization of the education system is underway. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to a well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Aarley's national animal is the deer, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its national religion is none.
Most Recent Government Activity: 22 days ago
- 2 days 22 hours ago: Aarley was ranked in the Top 1% of the region for Nicest Citizens (last census: Top 5%).
- 10 days ago: Aarley was ranked in the Top 1% of the region for Most Influential (last census: Top 5%).
- 21 days ago: Aarley was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Corrupt Governments.
- 25 days ago: Aarley was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Most Eco-Friendly Governments (last census: Top 1%).
- 30 days ago: Aarley was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most World Assembly Endorsements.
- 37 days ago: Aarley was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Most Subsidized Industry.
- 50 days ago: Aarley was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Lowest Crime Rates.
- 54 days ago: Aarley fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most Extreme.
- 58 days ago: Aarley was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Devout.
- 84 days ago: Aarley was ranked in the Top 1% of the region for Most Income Equality (last census: Top 5%).