The Queen's State of Aarley is a gargantuan, genial nation, remarkable for its compulsory military service, complete lack of prisons, and devotion to social welfare. The cynical population of 13.659 billion Aarleyians are ruled with an iron fist by the socialist government, which grants its people the freedom to do whatever they like so long as it doesn't involve getting richer than anybody else or challenging the government.
The government — a sprawling, bureaucracy-choked, socially-minded, well-organized morass — juggles the competing demands of Welfare, Education, and Defense. The average income tax rate is 77.0%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The large but stagnant Aarleyian economy, worth 111 trillion betales a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. However, for those in the know, there is a slick, highly efficient, quite specialized black market in Tourism, Door-to-door Insurance Sales, Trout Farming, and Book Publishing. The private sector mostly consists of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, but the government is looking at stamping this out. Average income is 8,189 betales, and distributed extremely evenly, with practically no difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
None has been named as Aarley's national religion, major cities shut down as their local sports team takes to the field every day, Aarley is notorious for its citizens' infidelity, and a large-scale revitalization of the education system is underway. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to a well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Aarley's national animal is the deer, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its national religion is none.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Aarley's influence in Kingdom of the Netherlands rose from "Minnow" to "Hermit".
- : Aarley established the regional flag of Kingdom of the Netherlands.
- : Aarley proposed constructing embassies between Kingdom of the Netherlands and The Icelandic Commonwealth.
- : Aarley relocated from Country of God to Kingdom of the Netherlands.
- : Aarley founded the region Kingdom of the Netherlands.
- : Aarley relocated from The Americas to Country of God.
- : Aarley was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Most Popular Tourist Destinations (last census: Top 1%).
- : Aarley was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Most Income Equality (last census: Top 1%).
- : Aarley's influence in The Americas rose from "Truckler" to "Handshaker".
- : Aarley's influence in The Americas rose from "Vassal" to "Truckler".